Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meat Alternative
1 August 2013, 19:41,
RE: Meat Alternative
I love reading about all these wonderful foods. Finding them and eating them is another thing. However, when the situation arises and all my food has been consumed and I come across food such as this, I'll pinch my nose to avoid smell and taste and force it down the hatch. Man cannot live on bread alone. Kenneth Eames.
1 August 2013, 20:10,
Black soldier fly have been used as chicken feed, and are easy to harvest because the maturing larvae always travel up hill, meaning a simple ramp can direct them to their doom when they are ready to be eaten. An easier way is to leave any dead animal suspended over the chicken run and let the native maggots fall off.
1 August 2013, 20:24,
Sod it, I'm not bloody well eating bugs!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
1 August 2013, 21:09,
Many bugs are not as bad as you would think, it is our minds that make them `taste` horrible

You dont have to do a Bear Grilles [sp] and chew away on a big fat maggot to get goodness from bugs, do as suggested above and dry them and crush them and add them to other food, you will never taste them at all, and if you dont have other food, mix the dried food with water, and down it goes

I have dried and sprinkled bugs, [worms, Beatles etc] into stew many times
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 August 2013, 23:04,
The purpose of my prepping is so that I do not have to eat maggots and bugs!

If I am eating maggots and bugs;

All my preps spoiled
Everything in the garden died
All the fish in the river died
The raccoons killed all my chickens
I ran completely out of ammo (that won't happen until 2175ad)
I lost all my snares and traps
Everything I tried failed and all I have seen in the past month is a road killed maggot infested squirrel.
2 August 2013, 08:52,
I have a low gag factor so deffinatly not for me. I even have to fast forward Bear Gryills eating gross stuff.
2 August 2013, 09:54,
Nope, definitely not for me! Quite happy to watch anyone else enjoying their caterpillar and chips with a side order of maggots, but if I have to resort to that as far as I am concerned I would rather die!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
2 August 2013, 13:09,
Last resort eating no problem

if it a way of extending supplies or to help get through a lean stretch I'm guessing that it will be considered and it all depends on how they are prepared some good ideas about converting them in to something you could just add to a stew or soup
2 August 2013, 13:18,
there are enough grey squirrels (tree rats) in this country without having to resort to eating bugs!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 August 2013, 14:59,
(2 August 2013, 13:18)bigpaul Wrote: there are enough grey squirrels (tree rats) in this country without having to resort to eating bugs!

I am afraid we dont have squirrels in this part of the world,..pity, I hear they taste nice
A major part of survival is invisibility.