Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Vodka from Potatoes
13 March 2012, 14:44,
RE: Making Vodka from Potatoes
i havent had a drink for years and dont miss it one bit( ditto smoking), after TSHTF thats the last thing i will need, i will need to keep a clear head when all those around me(neighbours) are going mental!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 March 2012, 14:54,
I agree with you. Obviously alcohol impares judgement, and initially I certainly wouldn't want to be getting drunk!

However, when things quieten down after the initial shock and if you belong to any social group, I think alcohol as a drink will certainly have its uses. Perhaps not for you personally but I can't ignore that socially it is a useful tool to have available.
13 March 2012, 15:51,
It is useful for more than posioning yourself at the moment. Plus, after, it will be a valuable commodity to take peoples minds off reality.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 March 2012, 16:02,
i really dont understand this modern idea of getting blotto! to go out drinking to get drunk, i've always enjoyed a drink but not to the extent of falling over type drunk. and the damage they are doing to their livers etc. will only show up later when its too late. this idea that we will need alcohol to take our minds off the situation after TSHF is a non starter for me personally, especially some hooch type drink i'm not sure isnt going to make me go blind or insane or worse.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 March 2012, 16:41,
It has always been a distraction and the buzz makes people feel good. Takes their minds off life. However, I'm with you. Blotto makes no sense. May as well just sleep all day.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 March 2012, 17:25,
if i have to be around people post SHTF that have to have a drink to be able to function then i WONT be around people.
23 March 2012, 00:30,
Alcohol can also be used as a preservative.
23 March 2012, 15:09,
Interesting. Tell me more before I preserve the kids food in it.
Skean Dhude
3 November 2012, 12:09,
The key to distilling ethanol is to monitor the temperature of your distillate.
Water boils at 100 degrees C
Ethanol boils at 78 C
Methanol boils at 65 C

So as you heat your distillate, discard the fractions that come off before you get to 70. This will give you the best chance of getting 'Good' ethanol.

21 November 2012, 22:00,
Seems strange to me, as a resident of the Buorbon State, that no one has realized that the recipe posted by the OP will not produce anything resembling alcahol.

Only some distilled water will be found at the end of this process.

There is no fermentation stage included in the process. To obtain alcahol there must be a fermentation to change the sugers into alcahol that can be trapped by the still.