Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todays edible weed....Persicaria maculata
1 August 2013, 18:36, (This post was last modified: 1 August 2013, 18:37 by Steve.)
Todays edible weed....Persicaria maculata
Here's another useful weed, it grows everywhere and is easy to identify. Note the dark spot on the leaf, the red colour of older shoots, and distinctive flower. I'm chewing some now, it tastes vaguely of apple peel, not very tasty at all, but apparently quite nutricious.

http://www.wildplantforager.com/1/post/2...shank.html

Edit to add correction: Persicaria maculosa
1 August 2013, 19:31,
RE: Todays edible weed....Persicaria maculata
Thank you Steve for this one. I cannot recall ever seeing this plant but, will certainly be searching for it in the future. Whatever its taste if it can feed you, its worth finding. Kenneth Eames.
1 August 2013, 21:34,
cheers steve
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 August 2013, 21:50,
thanks for this I've not seen this around but in the future I'll be on the looking for it
2 August 2013, 09:59,
Ah yes, I know this plant as polygonum. I've got polygonum superbum in the garden. I think it's in the same family as knotweed. Never thought of eating it though.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
2 August 2013, 10:08,
(2 August 2013, 09:59)MaryN Wrote: Ah yes, I know this plant as polygonum. I've got polygonum superbum in the garden. I think it's in the same family as knotweed. Never thought of eating it though.

I was pulling a load out, it has invaded my peas, and I wondered if it was useful for anything. I was surprised to find it was edible and nutricious, so I might let some grow ( well away from the veg patch).