Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow making course in Devon.
3 August 2013, 12:21,
Bow making course in Devon.
bow making course at Rackenford just off the A361 North Devon Link Road. 14th September 2013....£75 including lunch.......includes string making!.....................www.bukworthyproject.org.uk
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 August 2013, 17:05,
RE: Bow making course in Devon.
that sounds good shame it's is no where near me
3 August 2013, 17:09, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2013, 17:12 by bigpaul.)
I've already sent them an email asking how many vacancies on the course in case any one else is interested, I shall probably book myself in anyway.

I reckon at £75 its a cheap course seeing once I have the knowledge I could make myself any number of bows!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2013, 17:19,
just spoken to the guy who's running this course, provisionally booked a space subject to him receiving my chequeBig Grin he says he still has a couple of vacancies so if any of you are interested i'd book soon if I was you-details on the website.
6 August 2013, 12:11,
Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed there are still spaces when I have funds that aren't already spoken for!!
6 August 2013, 12:59, (This post was last modified: 6 August 2013, 13:07 by bigpaul.)
(6 August 2013, 12:11)BeardyMan Wrote: Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed there are still spaces when I have funds that aren't already spoken for!!

its 14th September a Saturday...haven't had the details yet he said he'll send me that when he receives my cheque...jolly old royal mail!

I wouldn't leave it too long BM...better to get booked in as soon as funds allow.
6 August 2013, 13:14,
(6 August 2013, 12:59)bigpaul Wrote:
(6 August 2013, 12:11)BeardyMan Wrote: Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed there are still spaces when I have funds that aren't already spoken for!!

its 14th September a Saturday...haven't had the details yet he said he'll send me that when he receives my cheque...jolly old royal mail!

I wouldn't leave it too long BM...better to get booked in as soon as funds allow.

Yeah, will do. Need to replace current vehicle first!!
6 August 2013, 13:15,
yeah, good luck with that. when I get the full details i'll put them on here.
15 September 2013, 09:49,
I am today recovering from my bow making course of yesterday. very interesting place, not far from Exmoor, just off the North Devon Link road( could hear the traffic ALL the time I was there) on the old back road from Tiverton to South Molton. in a clearing in the woods, next to a roaring log fire(wife says I smell well smoked!!) we were using coppised Hazel and while we were not making a standard Longbow as such (this would have taken longer than just 1 day) neither was it a survival bow but somewhere in between. I ended up with a 20LB draw weight bow @20 inches, 55 inches long, 1 guy ended up with a 13LB bow and another with a 22 LB bow....that one was a real beastie, you should have seen the size of the timber he started with !, I used a thinner piece so didn't have to remove so much wood as others had to. using a spoke shave(never used one before), a metal scraper and a rasp...that's it, and yes we used a made up vice on a trestle, 3 to each trestle, 6 in the group( see I do DO groups sometimes!Big Grin) I was very pleased with the result, a good bow that will fire an arrow a considerable distance, first arrow missed the target, skimming the top and flying off further down the field, the second hit the target with a resounding thud! more than that I now have the knowledge to be able to make a reasonable bow from natural materials I find around me. we touched on bow string making and we all made our own serving onto the bow strings on which to fit the nock end of our arrows. a very enjoyable day with some like minded people, but after all the standing and stooping over the trestles my old back and knee is feeling the strainTongue
15 September 2013, 09:51,
You should of took photos as you went along,..it would have made an interesting thread

.... but well done
A major part of survival is invisibility.