Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
23 January 2012, 22:06,
RE: Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
I heard of a thing called a yo yo fishing reel the other day. Set it up an leave it, and when it gets a bite it automatically reels it in. Stick them on an overhanging branch an you've got fish hanging waiting for you. Can get em on fleabay.
23 January 2012, 22:25,
There is also the Cuban yo yo
24 January 2012, 07:52,
(23 January 2012, 22:25)uks Wrote: There is also the Cuban yo yo

Is that like a cuban neck-tie?
24 January 2012, 12:36,
i have sea fished in the past, havent been fishing for about 12 years since we moved away from the coast, used to fish off rocks for stuff like mackerel and bass.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 January 2012, 21:42,
(6 December 2011, 17:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've a stack of fishing gear but I'm not a fisher. Has anyone got any recommendations for what we should put away for fishing use?

Hi,

I don't much but survival fishing I have some experience of, I did a couple of survival course in the military and it has been my great interest for many years.
Some thing for you to think about:-
Learn to tie basic trout flies it is really not difficult I can show you how, (EVERY freshwater fish & many sea fish(e.g. bass & mackerel) will take a fly be it tied as an insect, lure, fly or non-descript as long as it looks like food. Also & here is the great bit it can be FREE!
and although I can't deny it helps, you don't have spend years learning to cast. Many years ago people caught fish with absolutely NONE of the gear we have now. Fish do not go to fisherman avoidance classes, all the old methods will still catch fish and keep you alive.

I don't want to bore you and this could be a long post so if you are interested in knowing more and the guvnor wants, I will do an article on survival freshwater and sea fishing methods. Please let me know your pleasure.
Any Fool Can Be Unprepared!
The More I Learn, The More I Realise How Little I Knew!!
31 January 2012, 21:58,
you can get barbed crossbow bolts for fishing dont no how well they work but the idea is sound
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 February 2012, 10:38,
(31 January 2012, 21:58)Barneyboy Wrote: you can get barbed crossbow bolts for fishing dont no how well they work but the idea is sound

yeah, you could fish with a standard bow and arrow or a spear, but you have to allow for the "refraction" of the water.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 April 2012, 12:53,
Standing by the shoreline or a River with a big pole in hand would certainly be like painting a bullseye on yourself, For me it's the Hunting over Trapping method. You trap and you can leave it for hours, Usually in the dark and hopefully come back to some lovely goodies after. as 00111001 says there are yo yo fishing lines, attach to a tree at night and leave it alone, the yo yo will strike when the fish bites for you. Dont forget Rivers and Streams also have a lot of American Crayfish in them, Traps are legal to use now, You can also modify them to trap fish.

Sea Fishing, You will have a lot more luck forgaing along the shoreline and rock pools, Crabs, Eels, Welks, Limpets, Muscles etc. As for bait if your gonna sea fish, depending on your quarry, start by digging up ragworm when the tide is out, you can spot these easily by the squiggly mound they leave on the surface, Smaller fish you catch use as bait for bigger fish/crabs/lobster, again my prefered method would be a Kreel ( crab/lobster trap ) again easily modified to trap fish.

Set up a few YoYos and a few traps ( Kreels ) ( both easily bought online ) and then go off and hunt your land based quarry, Bunnys, Birds, Game etc, That way your covering multiple bases at the same time. Win Win situation.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
12 April 2012, 14:42,
just tried looking for a Yo-Yo reel on ebay, but there all in America and i dont want to pay the freight. anybody got any ideas??
12 April 2012, 14:50, (This post was last modified: 12 April 2012, 14:57 by Stokey.)
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/bushc...2752-p.asp
(12 April 2012, 14:50)Stokey Wrote: http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/bushc...2752-p.asp

Not exactly the Yo Yo real, But just as effective, Can also be used for land game as well.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu