Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
12 April 2012, 16:39,
RE: Anybody got any fishing recommendations?
I just have a couple of spools of thread and assorted weights and hooks and I can make my own floats if needed and rod out of a suitable branch if I need it...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
12 April 2012, 16:50,
i bought this on ebay:" BCB hand line survival fishing kit", costs £1.99 +£1p&p, its now part of my GHB. i also bought some snare wire on ebay too.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 April 2012, 20:10,
HI there i reckon you need some hooks pre tied to line ( there easier to present and fool the fish better) get some artificial rubber maggots(longevity) as everything in the water likes maggots,then get various coloured line(depending on the water condition plain line wont work) then a good telescopic would do(recommend a good 2 piece rod) and a quality reel with a bait runner so you can be alerted and also more chance of you getting it first time,and a telescopic trout net...i have used a set up like this for 30 years and had some amazing catches just on canals...remember if you can see the fish they can see you... its called fishing not catching so they must be stalked quietly. hope this helps
18 April 2012, 20:51, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2012, 21:00 by The Local Ned.)
Ok , I will give you some tips on how to catch BAIT to catch game fish with , all you need is a wine bottle , some line , and a few bits of bread - less than one slice will fill 2 or 3 traps.

1. Find a small stream or river with MINNOWS in it.

2. Get a wine bottle - it MUST be of the type with the inverted cone at the bottom.

3. Very carefully smash the 'cone' open , do not break it all , you only need to make a large enough hole about an inch and a half across in dia.

4. Put a handful of bread inside the bottle ( using the open neck of course ) either screw lid back on or fix cork back into it to seal it.

5. Tie a line to the minnow trap , fix around the neck.

6. Observe the water to see where the minnows are 'shoaling' ( usually medium to fast running) , enter the water and sink the bottle here ,with the neck end pointing upstream , if neccessary weigh down with some small rocks.

7. Wait and observe the bottle - once you see the bread floating at the top of it you know there are minnows inside , wait half an hour or so and pull it back in using the line.

8. Empty bottle and throw soggy mashed up bread into the water , and minnows into some form of container , refill as req'd with bread - unless you keep the water in the container cold and aeriated they wont live too long , but the water you catch them from probably has trout too so you wont need to travel far to fish using them.

+ corks can be used as small floats for fishing too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively

Get a couple of large plastic coke bottles , say 2L , cut a good part of the neck off one and the bottom off another , put the neck inside the bottle with the cut bottom and fix it securely to the bottle with no bottom ( the cut neck should be facing into the cut bottom part ), metal paper clips twisted through the plastic are good for securing this.

Baiting and trapping methods are exactly the same as the wine bottle one , with a line fixed onto the trap to bring it back in without getting wet again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the minnow as bait.

Is quite gruesome , but needs must.

1. Buy a 'baiting needle' for fishing , buy some lead 'barrel weights' too.These are hollow lead weights.

2. Put you lead weight on your fishing line by threading it through the hollow part ,tie a small loop at the end once its through it. 'flare' out the bottom facing opening slightly if req'd. (The eye of the hook might need to fit inside it depending on which hooks you have.)
We always used 'tied hooks' but as the method is illegal here now not many shops have them.

3. Grab a minnow , give it a squeeze it , its mouth pops open , stick your baiting needle in through the open mouth , down through the wee minnow till its just poking out through the minnows bumhole. Fix your loop of line to the baiting needle and pull needle completely through the minnow and out the bum , hopefully with the line still attached.

4. Slide the barrel weight into the mouth of the minnow and it should fit nicely inside the body of the minnow giving it added weight for casting and sinking. Tie your fishing hook at the other end just thread the loop through the eye of the hook and pass hook through that again so it tightens on itself. Carefully push hook back up through minnows bumhole till its nearly hidden.

Fish - cast upriver at a 45o angle and let the minnow swing round in the flow till the line starts swinging back in towards you , retrieve , move a few feet and try again.

This method emptied waters around me up here when I was younger and was henceforth forever banned. Highly illegal to use now.

==================================================================================

Incidentally a long / slim sharpened darning needle will work better than the newer baiting needles that are out now.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
21 April 2012, 21:23,
(18 April 2012, 20:51)The Local Ned Wrote: Ok , I will give you some tips on how to catch BAIT to catch game fish with , all you need is a wine bottle , some line , and a few bits of bread - less than one slice will fill 2 or 3 traps.

1. Find a small stream or river with MINNOWS in it.

2. Get a wine bottle - it MUST be of the type with the inverted cone at the bottom.

3. Very carefully smash the 'cone' open , do not break it all , you only need to make a large enough hole about an inch and a half across in dia.

4. Put a handful of bread inside the bottle ( using the open neck of course ) either screw lid back on or fix cork back into it to seal it.

5. Tie a line to the minnow trap , fix around the neck.

6. Observe the water to see where the minnows are 'shoaling' ( usually medium to fast running) , enter the water and sink the bottle here ,with the neck end pointing upstream , if neccessary weigh down with some small rocks.

7. Wait and observe the bottle - once you see the bread floating at the top of it starting to move around ,you know there are minnows inside , wait half an hour or so and pull it back in using the line.

8. Empty bottle and throw soggy mashed up bread into the water , and minnows into some form of container , refill as req'd with bread - unless you keep the water in the container cold and aeriated they wont live too long , but the water you catch them from probably has trout too so you wont need to travel far to fish using them.

+ corks can be used as small floats for fishing too.
Alternatively

Get a couple of large plastic coke bottles , say 2L , cut a good part of the neck off one and the bottom off another , put the neck inside the bottle with the cut bottom and fix it securely to the bottle with no bottom ( the cut neck should be facing into the cut bottom part ), metal paper clips twisted through the plastic are good for securing this.

Baiting and trapping methods are exactly the same as the wine bottle one , with a line fixed onto the trap to bring it back in without getting wet again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the minnow as bait.

Is quite gruesome , but needs must.

1. Buy a 'baiting needle' for fishing , buy some lead 'barrel weights' too.These are hollow lead weights.

2. Put you lead weight on your fishing line by threading it through the hollow part ,tie a small loop at the end once its through it. 'flare' out the bottom facing opening slightly if req'd. (The eye of the hook might need to fit inside it depending on which hooks you have.)
We always used 'tied hooks' but as the method is illegal here now not many shops have them.

3. Grab a minnow , give it a squeeze it , its mouth pops open , stick your baiting needle in through the open mouth , down through the wee minnow till its just poking out through the minnows bumhole. Fix your loop of line to the baiting needle and pull needle completely through the minnow and out the bum , hopefully with the line still attached.

4. Slide the barrel weight into the mouth of the minnow and it should fit nicely inside the body of the minnow giving it added weight for casting and sinking. Tie your fishing hook at the other end just thread the loop through the eye of the hook and pass hook through that again so it tightens on itself. Carefully push hook back up through minnows bumhole till its nearly hidden.

Fish - cast upriver at a 45o angle and let the minnow swing round in the flow till the line starts swinging back in towards you , retrieve , move a few feet and try again.

This method emptied waters around me up here when I was younger and was henceforth forever banned. Highly illegal to use now.

==================================================================================

Incidentally a long / slim sharpened darning needle will work better than the newer baiting needles that are out now.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
8 December 2012, 10:53,
I've got a couple of hobo fishing kits ones got fairly thick line and one not so thick, they both came with a float and lure/hook of some description and I've added to this by buying a load more hooks and lures plus some glow in the dark floats and extra lines and weights. Not sure how to put pictures up but I'm happy to email them to someone who can.

Gary
26 April 2020, 08:03,
For guaranteed results, use bacon rind with fat on.
Thread hook through rind ( it will be pulled out of fat)
A small piece of red wool will make it even more attractive. I hope it is legal wherever you are...