Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naked and Afraid - Program
5 August 2013, 12:05, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2013, 12:08 by Scythe13.)
Naked and Afraid - Program
Yesterday the wife called to me and said she had found a program I'd be into. She said "Naked and Afraid" which had no appeal to me, other than the fact that my wife looks awesome naked. Considering that it wouldn't be her on the program, my interest wasn't too great. However, she said that it was a survival program....interest back and burning.

The concept, 2 people, with 1 item each (e.g. a knife or a pot or a water bottle, or whatever they choose) and that's it. Not even the clothes on their back. No shoes either!!! NO SHOES!!! Damn right, no shoes. No boxers, or anything. They are actually naked.

From there, they have to travel a distance (usually a few miles) and survive for 21 days, with just each other and their item each.

Turns out, the program has lots of blurred out parts, but more than anything it shows the difference between practiced skills and theoretical skills.

Definitely worth a watch!

I'd give it 8 out of 10.

Forgot to mention, the 2 people are different every week, and they don't know each other. Never met until in the survival situation.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 August 2013, 12:31,
RE: Naked and Afraid - Program
When i started reading this i thought it was going to be a bluey Tongue
But it does look good you can watch it here
http://videobull.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/
Click on the episode you want,Then one of the following links,Wait for the count down in the top right of the screen then skip ad,Then play
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
5 August 2013, 12:59,
Will this ever be on tv? If so what channel
5 August 2013, 15:41,
Awsome. If anyone finds it on the telly, please post channel / time. Smile
5 August 2013, 16:23,
Looks like the discovery channel
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
6 August 2013, 08:23,
Had a wee look, and watched the first 3 episodes. VERY American, males all think they are super tough! in reality in the three shows I watched the naked couple did not "survive" or show great outdoor skills, they simply starved and waited for the 21 days to be up. I suppose if the time allotted was longer things may have been different but I can't say I was impressed, give me Dual survival every time, even for a laugh!
22 August 2013, 14:36,
After S13 told me about it I had to see what the fuss was about. It's VERY american and funny as hell in a strange way. It's well worth a watch imo as I'm hooked after watching the first 2 episodes.
Even if you look at it as what not to do it's worth it. To be honest you would need superhuman skills to survive with no kit from what ive seen, so fair play to them.
I highly reccomend watching it over a few vodkas, this will enable you to know EVERYTHING and entitle you to shout at the telly as you see fit Big Grin
22 August 2013, 16:07,
(22 August 2013, 14:36)MCavity Wrote: I highly reccomend watching it over a few vodkas, this will enable you to know EVERYTHING and entitle you to shout at the telly as you see fit Big Grin

I employ the same method when driving Big Grin
22 August 2013, 19:11,
I used to do an overnight survival exercise with our scouts. They were told to turn up at the hut with an empty backpack and a sleeping bag. We simulated an aircrash by piling a whole poad of survival gear in the middle of the floor (tarps, fire lighting gear, compasses, rope, hex tabs, some snacks, etc, etc). The patrols sat round the edge and took turns in retrieving one item each from the pile. They had to decide what. The catch was that the "aircraft" could "explode" at any time (indicated by a whistle), at which point they had to stop collecting and could only work with what they had.

We then hiked them 10 miles to a green field campsite, with navigation challenges en route. Every time they passed a challenge they were given a clue to e location of previously cached food. On arrival, they had to camp, shelter and feed themselves as best they could.

I remember one group prioritised grabbing all the chocolate biscuits, which they then proceeded to barter for more useful items with the other patrols (Only after the other patrols had carried the gear to the camp site). Not bad for a bunch of 12 year olds, huh?
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
23 August 2013, 17:43,
For me, the program is hugely about showing the 'mental game' of survival. The skills thing isn't too densely packed, nor is the 'real life application' in regards to a SHTF scenario.

The mental game has 2 parts, as I see it,
1. The massive emotional maturity and ability to remain motivated, through just 21 days. Imagine if it was 40 days or more?!?! What about 1 year? It's interesting to see so many 'hardcore military' types breaking down and not being able to play the mental game.

2. The second part is just as interesting as watching the first, and is rightly commented by McCavity. It shows the HUGE difference between people whom have learned the skills from a book, and those whom are well versed in actually using the skills to survive. Again, not to smack on the military guys, but there are a lot of them who have not used the skills since being taught, and they are 'out skilled' by women who regularly use the skills.

If you want to learn to survive, it's not the best program to watch. But if you want to learn WHAT IT TAKES to survive, then this is an awesome starting point!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin