Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HF Net Anyone??
6 August 2013, 21:14,
RE: HF Net Anyone??
(6 August 2013, 19:19)River Song Wrote: Ok I wouldn't mind picking this up.

Equipment used was : HF transceiver running 10w,

Which transceiver would you recommend to run 10w or upwards?

12v solar charged power pack,

Homemade or purchased?

20ish foot long end-fed random wire deployed from a downstairs fanlight window into a nearby tree,

Yeah I understood that one

and homebrew ATU

Sorry whats an ATU

I wouldn't mind studying for the foundation to start off with

Allons-y

River,.. ATU= Antenna Tuning Unit,..

My HF sets are both old one, but I have the Yaesu FT 902 DM and the Icon 735... but I dont have a license,.. but I do listen in regular
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 August 2013, 21:29,
Roughly what frequencies are these tests ? I have some old kit, and some more modern stuff I want to play with, but I'm limited to 27mhz and 403-470mhz . ( obviously I will be listening only ).
6 August 2013, 23:22, (This post was last modified: 6 August 2013, 23:25 by Lightspeed.)
River Song:

My approach is to use the bare minimum of power on the transmitter as power will be hard to come by in the long term. My belief is that 10w is sufficient. This is what I am testing.
Suitable commercially made transceivers are made by Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and Alinco.

ATU is as HL explained. Antennas have to be electonically matched to a transmitter in order to protect its electronic components. An ATU is the machine that is used for this.

Foundation license: Good for you! The booklet "Foundation Now" by Alkan Betts ISBN-10: 1872309801 contains absolutely everything you will need for the examination and is a real must have guide to radio communications. You'll not find a lot of studying is required though... sorry to disappoint you Confused

Be aware that some SUK members are reticent about getting a license due to concerns about opsec and appearing on the radar of the authorities. But in my opinion the level of intrusion by officialdom is considerably less than that entailed in holding a driving license.

Steve

The testing I am doing is on Ham licensed frequencies below 30Mhz.

I'll PM you to see if your gear is capable of receiving me.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2013, 09:31,
and some are reticent about getting a license because of the time necessary. I have no spare time at all.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 August 2013, 09:52,
A ham radio licence is a useful skill to have like learning to ride a horse, doing first aid, become competant at archery, animal husbandry, skill at arms etc providing you are will to add your name to another register and go through the training and licencing process. For some of us this is the most apt or suitable route and should be encouraged for others like myself I choose not to go that route as it offers no benefit to me.

I'll stick with just using my tarted up PMR and CB SSB kit whilst others will get fully involved in amatuer radio, horses for courses.

7 August 2013, 10:36, (This post was last modified: 7 August 2013, 10:42 by Lightspeed.)
(7 August 2013, 09:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: A ham radio licence is a useful skill to have like learning to ride a horse, doing first aid, become competant at archery, animal husbandry, skill at arms etc providing you are will to add your name to another register and go through the training and licencing process. For some of us this is the most apt or suitable route and should be encouraged for others like myself I choose not to go that route as it offers no benefit to me.

I'll stick with just using my tarted up PMR and CB SSB kit whilst others will get fully involved in amatuer radio, horses for courses.

Thanks NR, absolutely spot on with your appraisal.

CB SSB is about to be legalised and that'll give greater range than is currently possible using license free radios, and this may well be sufficient for many.

(7 August 2013, 09:31)Skean Dhude Wrote: and some are reticent about getting a license because of the time necessary. I have no spare time at all.

SD with your time commitment to this site your time shortage is not surprising.

For reference foundation licence need only take an hour a day for a week to read the booklet and another week to commit the important bits to memory. The biggest time hurdle is travel time to and from a Ham radio club to do the simple hands on training and of course to sit the examination itself. ( the exam only takes 10 to 20 minutes to complete).
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2013, 11:29,
(6 August 2013, 19:13)Lightspeed Wrote:
(6 August 2013, 18:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: So, your both admitting failure already. Sigh.

I'm sure someone will work it out eventually.

Who said anything about defeat?

Jonas' 100w will easily make the trip.

Its my 10 w that will be more challenging.....but we've been 10-watting it to Australia recently, so USA is really not such a big challenge Tongue

I even heard a Frenchman talkiung to Sidney Australia on his 12w CB radio this morning

Ha!Ha! Last week, 7w / p , I contacted 5x VK stations, 1xYB, 1x ZL, most of Europe & Scandinavia, 6x US and contacts throughout UK ranging from Cornwall to Thurso. Some communications made at 5w, all phone.

Really big power is not needed! I'm in LS! Smile
7 August 2013, 12:09,
(7 August 2013, 11:29)Bug_out_Bag Wrote:
(6 August 2013, 19:13)Lightspeed Wrote:
(6 August 2013, 18:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: So, your both admitting failure already. Sigh.

I'm sure someone will work it out eventually.

Who said anything about defeat?

Jonas' 100w will easily make the trip.

Its my 10 w that will be more challenging.....but we've been 10-watting it to Australia recently, so USA is really not such a big challenge Tongue

I even heard a Frenchman talkiung to Sidney Australia on his 12w CB radio this morning

Ha!Ha! Last week, 7w / p , I contacted 5x VK stations, 1xYB, 1x ZL, most of Europe & Scandinavia, 6x US and contacts throughout UK ranging from Cornwall to Thurso. Some communications made at 5w, all phone.

Really big power is not needed! I'm in LS! Smile

Brilliant opartating BoB..... you weren't /p in Oz were you???!!!Big Grin
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2013, 12:26,
ROTFLOL! I was most definitely in the UK last week!

72 de BoB Smile