Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Mass exodus'
14 August 2013, 09:56,
RE: 'Mass exodus'
well Monty the opposite is the case over here, these people have plenty of money but no real life skills and in an emergency they would all be a liability.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 August 2013, 00:20,
Yes your right BP , we have loads of people moving into wales ....and as a result prices are moving up, in particular small holdings ......people want a better more simple self sufficient lifestyle ....I cannot fault that at all ..but they fall by the wayside , dreamers , especially when they HAVE to work at the dream, its hard work , they soon realize what they have entered into ....after the honeymoon phase , they usually seek locals to HELP out ...or do the f..king work that is ..then enjoy the fruits of someone else's labours justified by the payment they make ....to me they miss the point completely their perception of the good life is, its great when someone else provides it......when I read posts from OUR mary for example it personifies the true essence of country life ....its called hard work and experience ...you can't fake it ( cause I know ) . There are days when I just sit and wonder , and just look all around and take in what I have done the past 30 odd years I have lived here ....and give thanks to the creator of all things that I can still thrust my hands into the soil of this place , and be at ONE with the whole beat of this place and share it with the one I love.... life is GOOD......cleanex tissues on the right .....vomiting buckets on the left .....
20 August 2013, 08:03,
You know, reading this just makes me so glad we decided to move up to the Scottish Highlands, 14 years ago! before the unholy rise in house prices! we got our wee cottage and garden for under £40,000, under todays rules we couldnt move, or afford to buy anything, even if we wanted too.
20 August 2013, 09:10,
<Rant>

My Giddy Aunt - sometimes you guy's really depress me.

Not everyone wants to subscribe to your idea of 'the lifestyle', i.e. 'back to the land' etc. So that. It's too much hard work and I'm not interested.

What I AM interested in is prepping, i.e. preparing to be 'resilient' when things go TU. That can be short term or long term. I define short term as up to 12 months. Unless we have WWIII or Asteroid or Solar Flare etc then most other things are fixable.

Frankly I would LOVE a gated community if I could afford it. I take on board the comments on the type of people you get there but not everyone is a hairy-green-antifracking-anticapitalist-luddite. Quite correct they have no skills but think on this ...... If the SHTF, then they will either move out of their homes to be taken care of by their kids, or they will actually die 'in situ'. If I am one of the few people left within side the walls then there's lots of resources left for me.

Anyway just by 2p worth

</end rant>
20 August 2013, 09:17,
The trouble is newcomers to the country destroy what they fell in love with the old fashioned shops, the people even the countryside.
Failure is NOT an option
20 August 2013, 09:18,
trouble is, these sorts of people don't have "resources", even if the power stays on-which is debatable- not many will have food in the house and they certainly wont have food stores, these types usually eat out and let someone else do the cooking, so even if you could get into their houses post event there wouldn't be anything you could use anyway, a lot of them are "white flight" from the cities and have no idea how the country side works.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 August 2013, 20:53,
(20 August 2013, 09:18)bigpaul Wrote: trouble is, these sorts of people don't have "resources", even if the power stays on-which is debatable- not many will have food in the house and they certainly wont have food stores, these types usually eat out and let someone else do the cooking, so even if you could get into their houses post event there wouldn't be anything you could use anyway, a lot of them are "white flight" from the cities and have no idea how the country side works.

Thank goodness there are these 'sorts of people' though as who else will have the boats, horses, 4x4s, shotguns and country homes that we say we will purloin PSHTF! We need more of these people IMHO! Big Grin
25 August 2013, 11:39,
they don't ALL have the boats, horses, 4X4s etc BOB, just some of them, we get them in the lanes around here-get them off a motorway and their driving at 20 MPH haven't got a clue, and the horse riders are even worse-you follow them sometimes for 2 miles before they pull in, then of course you get the ones who move into a small village and straight away complain about the church bells,the lack of street lights, the noisy cockerel, the cows peeing in the field-I kid you not! mind you when its muck spreading season that usually finishes them off for good and they bugger off back to the citySmile