Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Mass exodus'
13 August 2013, 14:40,
RE: 'Mass exodus'
(13 August 2013, 14:22)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 August 2013, 09:25)bigpaul Wrote: a lot of incomers are buying into the "gated community" idea, there is a new one just outside Holsworthy about 13 miles from me.

Got a link??

http://www.home.co.uk punch in RYDON VILLAGE,Holsworthy, EX22.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 August 2013, 14:52,
(13 August 2013, 14:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 August 2013, 09:25)bigpaul Wrote: a lot of incomers are buying into the "gated community" idea, there is a new one just outside Holsworthy about 13 miles from me.

Got a link??

Ah, for over 55's only Sad
Prices aren't too bad though, £275k for a 3 bed detached
13 August 2013, 14:59,
(13 August 2013, 14:52)BeardyMan Wrote:

Got a link??

average price for this area, I wouldn't live there although I qualify age wise...too many STRAIGHTS!!!yuck!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 August 2013, 15:00,
(13 August 2013, 14:59)bigpaul Wrote:

Got a link??

average price for this area, I wouldn't live there although I qualify age wise...too many STRAIGHTS!!!yuck!Tongue

Someone has to scare 'em though BP!!
13 August 2013, 15:02,
(13 August 2013, 15:00)BeardyMan Wrote:
(13 August 2013, 14:59)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 August 2013, 14:22)BeardyMan Wrote: Got a link??

Someone has to scare 'em though BP!!

I do that alright-WITHOUT having to live amongst em!! god, what a horrible thought!
13 August 2013, 16:16,
Over here a "gated community, over 55 only" would be the absolute best place to be SHTF.

1. they still remember the days before "modern necessities", they have already lived through various assorted crap.

2. they have a stake in the situation and motivation to succeed.

3. Most are "preppers", although they would be insulted if called that.

4. they are all armed and most have fought through a war (we still had conscription here until the late 1970s).

5. Old folks live in a permanent state of "pissed off". They do not care what you think, especially if you are wrong!

6. It's a gated community, they already have a wall between themselves and the trash. anybody "young" is the enemy and does not belong there, shoot on sight.
13 August 2013, 16:20,
(13 August 2013, 16:16)Mortblanc Wrote: Over here a "gated community, over 55 only" would be the absolute best place to be SHTF.

1. they still remember the days before "modern necessities", they have already lived through various assorted crap.

2. they have a stake in the situation and motivation to succeed.

3. Most are "preppers", although they would be insulted if called that.

4. they are all armed and most have fought through a war (we still had conscription here until the late 1970s).

5. Old folks live in a permanent state of "pissed off". They do not care what you think, especially if you are wrong!

6. It's a gated community, they already have a wall between themselves and the trash. anybody "young" is the enemy and does not belong there, shoot on sight.

Sounds like my kind of place. I just need another 24 years behind me.....
13 August 2013, 16:21,
over here Monty those sorts of places are inhabited by monied outsiders, members of the local golf club, full of their own (assumed) importance, don't have any food in the house cos they all eat out every night and not one bit of use in any emergency!none of them have any "Skills", more likely to be lawyers, accountants and company executives....after all the houses are marketed as "Executive Property".
13 August 2013, 21:14,
(13 August 2013, 16:21)bigpaul Wrote: over here Monty those sorts of places are inhabited by monied outsiders, members of the local golf club, full of their own (assumed) importance, don't have any food in the house cos they all eat out every night and not one bit of use in any emergency!none of them have any "Skills", more likely to be lawyers, accountants and company executives....after all the houses are marketed as "Executive Property".

I get what you say BP and agree with you. UK gated communities are about exclusivity, not Redout type independence.

But why assume that Lawyers, accountants and company execs cannot also subscribe to a prepping lifestyle? Their careers do not necessarily define them as people.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 August 2013, 03:58,
(13 August 2013, 16:21)bigpaul Wrote: over here Monty those sorts of places are inhabited by monied outsiders, members of the local golf club, full of their own (assumed) importance, don't have any food in the house cos they all eat out every night and not one bit of use in any emergency!none of them have any "Skills", more likely to be lawyers, accountants and company executives....after all the houses are marketed as "Executive Property".

That is really a shame to hear.

My in-laws live in a very nice gated community in Phoenix, AZ. Very nice community with very nice houses and a 15 foot brick wall around it.

They have a community center with educational facilities, hobby centers, a wood shop, a complete metal working/welding shop, auto mechanic shop.

They have an 18 hole golf course and a private shooting range.

Most of those facilities were donated by people that retired to that place after working in those fields for a lifetime, so the community is filled with people having hands on experience in all sorts of technical fields.