Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dartmoor Wild Camp Write-up
12 August 2013, 09:19,
RE: Dartmoor Wild Camp Write-up
(11 August 2013, 21:17)Scythe13 Wrote:
(11 August 2013, 16:15)bigpaul Wrote: glad you all had a good time and the weather was kind to you.Scythe I did say on the thread and I said to BM on the day, you probably didn't hear as you were an hour late,I said we were only going to pop in and say hello to everyone as we were getting up at 6AM this morning to go to Cheddar Market, the reason we didn't clamber up the TOR with the rest of you is that Mrs.BP was unable to do so as she has had a hip replacement!hence the walking pole she was using. I would have liked to have gone with you but as the oldest of you has about 20 years on me and the youngest 40 years I would probably have held you all up waiting for Grandad!!Big Grin

That's cool GBP (Grandad Big Paul), we're glad you both came over. I remember you saying you might pop down. Just impressed and appreciative that you did. You would have out paced everyone but the puppies and MikeA. Terrain is always going to be tough on Dartmoor. Slow and steady really does win the race.

yes, Dartmoor is the last place you want to turn an ankle, do that or break a leg and you'd have to be airlifted off.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 August 2013, 13:40,
Well done to you all! I'm glad it went so well and that the weather held up for you. It sounds like the dogs had the best time of all of you! As HL said, now build on what you've started and aim high! Smile

12 August 2013, 13:44,
a VERY good group and as the OH says they need FULL credit for getting off their arses and actually making it happen!! we just came along for the ride and to wave them all off on their way!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 August 2013, 17:10,
The next one will be brilliant. A night camping, then carry stuff from camp site back to the cars, get out the GHB's, and bust out some orienteering fun!!! What better way to work out if your GHB is actually going to work for you?!?!

I think Beardyman will be okay with me saying this. Beardyman said his BOB was his GHB, which is fair enough, but it's bloody heavy. I showed him my GHB and what little equipment I carry in it. He was initially stunned, but then I went into a few simple points explaining my view on why I have so little gear, he seemed to understand the madness behind it. I think Beardyman will be reconsidering his GHB. Might not change it from his BOB, but he'll be reassessing it for sure.

Don't worry too much about maps of Dartmoor, at the moment. But I'll keep everyone up to date with it all. The next Dartmoor trip will be awesome!!! I-K-E, I recommend you try this out, as a good working GHB is something you really wanted to get down-pat.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 August 2013, 18:24,
(12 August 2013, 17:10)Scythe13 Wrote: I think Beardyman will be okay with me saying this. Beardyman said his BOB was his GHB, which is fair enough, but it's bloody heavy. I showed him my GHB and what little equipment I carry in it. He was initially stunned, but then I went into a few simple points explaining my view on why I have so little gear, he seemed to understand the madness behind it. I think Beardyman will be reconsidering his GHB. Might not change it from his BOB, but he'll be reassessing it for sure.

Bloody heavy indeed sir! You are 100% correct - my set up is aimed at comfort, not at travelling quickly. I don't NEED a tarp & hammock, nor the multitude of knives, nor the axe, 5 season sleeping bag, selection of cook sets and a heavy parafin cooker. Stripped down, my GHB now fits in a record bag. My GHB is now a GHQB, Get Home QUICKLY Bag. Ditched 99% of the gear, just some of those disgusting powered energy drinks, 2 of the survival blankets and the emergency bivi, camelback and water purifier. And the usual sharps and self defence items Wink

Winter time I'll be adding 2 of the silk sleeping bag liners, but that's it.
12 August 2013, 18:45,
Awesome work mate.

Get a bag with a change of clothes in, and keep that with your GHB. That is your throw bag. Once you get to your GHB, your throw bag with have a change of clothes, wet wipes, small packs of tissues, and spare socks, and thermals. Once you have got to your GHB, get changed, grab your GHB, take your Throw Bag too, if you want, and time to get moving.

Even though I know you're not using a record bag mate, a tip for everyone new to prepping, don't use a record bag. You want something with 2 shoulder straps and a waist strap. Preferably a chest strap too. This is to make sure that if you start running, your bag doesn't drop down and trip you up. Change of pace is possible. Prepare for that too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 August 2013, 08:33,
(12 August 2013, 18:45)Scythe13 Wrote: Awesome work mate.

Get a bag with a change of clothes in, and keep that with your GHB. That is your throw bag. Once you get to your GHB, your throw bag with have a change of clothes, wet wipes, small packs of tissues, and spare socks, and thermals. Once you have got to your GHB, get changed, grab your GHB, take your Throw Bag too, if you want, and time to get moving.

Even though I know you're not using a record bag mate, a tip for everyone new to prepping, don't use a record bag. You want something with 2 shoulder straps and a waist strap. Preferably a chest strap too. This is to make sure that if you start running, your bag doesn't drop down and trip you up. Change of pace is possible. Prepare for that too.

Not strictly a record bag, it's a Disciple Ops battle bag.

I don't need a throw bag, I go to work in my Blackhawk trousers and Speedfreak boots. Always dressed for the apocalypse Big Grin
13 August 2013, 08:41,
I had a great weekend. For a first time camper with new unused kit I was expecting more things to go wrong than right, so I was pleased that it was in fact the opposite (just). The weekend has shown some major flaws in my expectations, skills & kit, so this has been a great experience to learn from. I’m well proud that despite the rain I stayed dry and warm for the night, so I guess I can only build on that.
Much better to find out what works sooner than later.
BTW - my mate loved the dogs – I think that really made it for him!
Looking forward to the next meet- fantastic group!!