Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garden Produce
11 August 2013, 19:11,
Garden Produce
Harvested several butternut squash today. They should have been left a bit longer but the rabbits and deer will get them if I leave them out longer. They have been fattening on my crop and I plan to redeem my harvest as high quality protein at the proper time.

There are hundreds of acorn squash on the vines. Apparently the wildlife does not care for that variety.

Picked a peck of cherry tomatoes this morning and the dehydrator is going like mad as we speak.

Also picked a piddly amount of crook neck squash as the vines are giving up. I will tear out those vines tonight and get a planting of peas in as a late crop.

This last batch of summer squash will be another experiment in dehydrating. I already have enough put away for a meal each week until next summer and want to know how it does when dried.

Corn is also staying on the stalk until dry. It is the multicolored "Indian Corn" and I grew it as an experiment and decoration. We have thousands of acres of corn growing in my area and we can by it at roadside stands cheaper then the fuel for the tiller preparing the ground for maize.

I have a couple of pounds of okra to pickle and two dozen eggs, over my needs for the day, that are going into the vinegar brine.

I am also saving seed for next year, since everything I grew this year is a heirloom variety non-hybrid. Much of it did not produce like a hybrid, but I do get to keep my own seed.

How are the allotments coming along over there? Everyone eating well?
11 August 2013, 19:24,
RE: Garden Produce
i picked my first cherry toms 3days ago i did not think i would get a crop this year because of the weather.
also i used seeds from last years toms plants ok no yellow buds or fruit .
Survive the jive (youtube )
11 August 2013, 20:31,
We are swamped with produce this year. At the moment I'm picking haricot and runner beans, courgettes, outside cucumbers, tomatoes, chard, lettuce, late asparagus, beetroot, carrots, cabbages, peppers and peas. The raspberries are now overwhelming me and I need a machete! In our little orchard, we have apples almost ready and some lovely pears.

All in all, so far, a good year.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 August 2013, 21:00,
We're up to our necks in raspberries, and we're not even growing them! They're everywhere in the lanes round here. Had an excellent rhubarb crop as well this year, and apples looking good.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 August 2013, 22:08,
The polly tunnel has done us well so far, we have already been harvesting lettuce, carrots by the million, spring onions, peas, and onions, we have a good crop of brussel sprouts, cabbage, Brockly, and potatoes in containers... and we have broad beans growing outside,... where gaps have appeared because of harvesting we have re-seeded
A major part of survival is invisibility.