Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Wide Fitness Challenge
14 August 2013, 11:52,
RE: Forum Wide Fitness Challenge
Don't suppose operating the joystick on my wheelchair counts, does it?

14 August 2013, 12:09,
Just got back from 8 mile walk,Time for a nice healthy fry up Big Grin
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
14 August 2013, 13:47,
I walk three quarters of a mile to work. So thats a mile and a half a day before I do anything else.

Bit of a pain with the laptop.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 August 2013, 13:54,
its a mile(and a bit) to the shops and back, if I cant do that i'm not going to be much use post SHTF am I?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 August 2013, 15:49,
(14 August 2013, 11:52)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Don't suppose operating the joystick on my wheelchair counts, does it?

Get yourself rowing GG!!! Haha

Okay, you can be the exception to the challenge, but only you!

You have to do 1 chin up a day, or 1 press-up (not sure what condition you're in, or why you've got the wheels, but I hope one or the other is doable).

I've seen some gyms have an 'arm-bike' where you basically use your arms on a bike style pedal thing, that's shoulder height. One of them might be good fun for you, and help keep your heart healthy.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 August 2013, 19:04,
As I get older, staying in shape becomes more important, for me personally that translates in to running 4 miles, three times a week, and cycling a 12 mile route, also three times a week. I have Wednesday as a exercise free day to let the elderly muscles recuperate!

I agree that pumping iron is unnecessary, even in my opinion unwise, my upper body is worked by sawing and chopping wood to feed the stove and a lot of gardening, we grow most of our own veggies.

But a holistic approach is vital, so watching what you eat and your weight should be part of any lifestyle.
14 August 2013, 19:10,
(14 August 2013, 15:49)Scythe13 Wrote:
(14 August 2013, 11:52)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Don't suppose operating the joystick on my wheelchair counts, does it?

Get yourself rowing GG!!! Haha

Okay, you can be the exception to the challenge, but only you!

You have to do 1 chin up a day, or 1 press-up (not sure what condition you're in, or why you've got the wheels, but I hope one or the other is doable).

I've seen some gyms have an 'arm-bike' where you basically use your arms on a bike style pedal thing, that's shoulder height. One of them might be good fun for you, and help keep your heart healthy.

'Fraid not Scythe - both L and C-spine have damage so upper body work can be a problem too. Just started archery though and managing okay with that so far but with a low poundage. Working with a big stretchy rubber band thingy to help arms and shoulders but have to be careful. Best I can do, my friend... Smile

14 August 2013, 19:16,
(14 August 2013, 19:10)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: 'Fraid not Scythe - both L and C-spine have damage so upper body work can be a problem too. Just started archery though and managing okay with that so far but with a low poundage. Working with a big stretchy rubber band thingy to help arms and shoulders but have to be careful. Best I can do, my friend... Smile

Power bands. They're awesome. Okay, in that case, you just keep up your rehab work with the bands. I've worked with a lot of recovering athletes, and I've seen them sweat more doing rehab sessions than I have when they're coming back from a 5 mile run. Keep at it mate. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 August 2013, 20:13,
(14 August 2013, 19:16)Scythe13 Wrote: Power bands. They're awesome. Okay, in that case, you just keep up your rehab work with the bands. I've worked with a lot of recovering athletes, and I've seen them sweat more doing rehab sessions than I have when they're coming back from a 5 mile run. Keep at it mate. Rome wasn't built in a day.

It'd be great to say it's rehab S - but it's not. The condition's degenerative, so improvement's the last thing that's going to happen. Too much detail already - 'nuff said... Blush