Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seasonal Hazards
14 August 2013, 15:03,
Seasonal Hazards
We have no idea when an event may happen, we have no idea what time of the year it will happen, so as the seasons change so must our preps.

Some of us are bugging out and some are staying put, but what ever you have decided to do, have you thought about how the seasons may upset your plans.

For those who plan to bug out in winter.

Think about,.. with no councils working, no gritters and no snow ploughs,...can you get to your BOL?, if the roads are deep in snow, what happens if they are blocked with either snow or stuck vehicles?

Don't rely on your massive 4x4 to get you there, because 4x4s are little use on ice and most of us cant get hold of studded tyres, so its down to chains.
Do you have chains?, can you put them on?, part of your preps should included practicing with them

Most BOL are secret places, can you get to them without leaving half a mile of tracks in the snow or mud that may be there for all to see for a long time after?,... think about how you will eradicate those wheels marks

For those who plan to stay at home, the seasons will decide many of your work plans.

If the event starts during the growing season you are better off, but what happens if it happens in November, do you have enough food?, do you have seeds for the following March?

If you have stock can you get to feed them?, do you have enough to feed them?

There are many scenarios that I am sure we can think of ourselves,.. floods, snow, ice, stranded cars, lack of fuel, or yobo check points,.... but as long as this thread gets people thinking, then its done its job
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 August 2013, 16:14,
RE: Seasonal Hazards
If its during the winter its not just food but water you have to worry about.
There is not point having a 1000 ltr ice cube, plus that IBC tank might split so you could end up with little or no water.
Water butts are the same.
Last winter was a long cold one, The same as this summer has been a hot dry one.
I think i would have struugled to survive on a ration of 2 ltrs a day in the heat.
Not forgeting the water for the dogs and chickens and about 30 ltrs per day for the pigs i had.
It was a major eye opener for me.
Im keeping a look out for reasonably price IBC tanks as long as they are clean, ideally food grade. Then they need insulating against the summer heat and the winter freeze.
14 August 2013, 16:46,
(14 August 2013, 16:14)BFG Central Wrote: If its during the winter its not just food but water you have to worry about.
There is not point having a 1000 ltr ice cube, plus that IBC tank might split so you could end up with little or no water.
Last winter was a long cold one, The same as this summer has been a hot dry one.
I think i would have struugled to survive on a ration of 2 ltrs a day in the heat.
Not forgeting the water for the dogs and chickens and about 30 ltrs per day for the pigs i had.
Im keeping a look out for reasonably price IBC tanks as long as they are clean, ideally food grade. Then they need insulating against the summer heat and the winter freeze.

Dig yourself a pond...
14 August 2013, 17:09,
(14 August 2013, 16:46)BeardyMan Wrote:
(14 August 2013, 16:14)BFG Central Wrote: If its during the winter its not just food but water you have to worry about.

Dig yourself a pond...

Iv actually got a natural spring but i still like to have stored water for the family and the animals and the garden.
What if we had a drought and the spring dried up?
14 August 2013, 17:13, (This post was last modified: 14 August 2013, 17:14 by BeardyMan.)
(14 August 2013, 17:09)BFG Central Wrote:
(14 August 2013, 16:46)BeardyMan Wrote:

Dig yourself a pond...

Iv actually got a natural spring but i still like to have stored water for the family and the animals and the garden.
What if we had a drought and the spring dried up?

Then you could use the water in the pond Wink
Stick some fish in there, water and food storage taken care of Big Grin

Nice one with the spring btw! Parents has an underground stream / spring in the garden, pops up in a couple of places. They ruined it all when they filled the 3 wells in though Sad