Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild Camping 2nd Event.
14 August 2013, 16:23,
Wild Camping 2nd Event.
Hello Everyone

As has already been discussed, at length, the first wild camping trip was awesome. Everyone had a great time, and we're all well up for a second meet.

Well guess what, here it is!!!

Details will be brought out later, but I'll give a little heads up. It will VERY likely be in October.

As discussed with everyone, we all want to do a bit more trekking around next time, because having a kit is good, and through camping trips we find out how effective and efficient our systems are. But we want to know more than how to set up a tent.

This time, we're looking towards skills and testing GHB's.

On the next Wild Camping Trip (WCT2) we'll be staying over night (BOB testing again). Then when we wake up the next day, pack up and put our BOB's in our cars. WHAT?!?! MADNESS?!?! Nope, after that, we'll be getting our GHB's out and having some fun with them.

A day or 2 before WCT2, the wife and I will be out and about on Dartmoor setting up an orienteering route for people to follow! Damn right.

When we have our GHB's ready, then we will go over map reading, and a short test walk which will reinforce the skills you will have learned, or been reminded of. Once we're happy you're comfortable with the maps and how to read them, then we'll be breaking off into teams and orienteering for a while. I promise it won't be anything too bad, but it will be awesome fun. Teams will be selected through skill, intelligence, and the toss of a coin haha. I'm kidding. Each team will have someone who can map read, who will be assisting their other team members whom are learning the skills.

Because Family Scythe13 will have set the route and markers, we won't be orienteering, per-se. The wife and I will be keeping an eye on the teams, so comms will be important. If you already have, or are intending to get, LS's recommended Baofeng, please do so in the next couple of pay cheques (August and September payday's will be sorted by then, so no excuses). These will be our way of communicating with you if something goes wrong (like we lose a dog or 2 and you just happen to get jumped on my a hyper puppy or 2). We need at least one radio per team. If you're unsure of how to use them, we'll go over some basic radio skills and setting up the radios before the map reading. Just make sure your batteries are fully charged.

Excited? You should be.

There is possibly going to be prizes (nothing too amazing) but it will be a lot of fun!

Open invite, same as the last WCT. If you missed the last one, you will want to come to this one!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 August 2013, 17:08,
RE: Wild Camping 2nd Event.
I like the sound of this one Sythe, especially the practical involvement of radios, a subject which, including the Baofeng model I'm not too clued up on. Count me in definitely.
14 August 2013, 17:54,
Aye, I'm in.
14 August 2013, 18:20,
Sounds good
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
14 August 2013, 18:53,
oh it's in October ..... may well be interested depending on fuel money and the OH ....... better start earning some brownie points
15 August 2013, 08:48,
Aye - I'm up for it.
15 August 2013, 10:20,
please be aware when leaving bags in your cars on Dartmoor-or any other tourist spot for that matter, excerpt from our local paper the "Okehampton Times": "Thieves at work on Dartmoor again, Postbridge, Bedford Bridge near Horrabridge(Yelverton area) and Venford reservoir near Holne have all had vehicle broken in to. there is a common link-in each case the cars had a handbag pushed under the front seat, THIS IS THE FIRST PLACE THIEVES LOOK so please don't put bags there". don't make this put you off coming to Dartmoor but please act accordingly.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 August 2013, 11:29,
I think we'll all be camping pretty near to the cars this time. The real fun will be shortly afterwards, the next day. Around Dartmoor, following a pre-set route, having a brilliant laugh! It'll be great fun.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 August 2013, 13:26,
Of course I'm delighted to see that you'll be using radios this time Scythe.

For a weekend out doors on Dartmoor at that time of year the radios need protection from the elements I'll do a thread on ways to do this in the next week or so.

Great stuff. It sounds like it'll be a good one!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580