Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite self defense move, no weapons
20 August 2013, 05:51,
RE: favorite self defense move, no weapons
Distract them with a punch but really kick them in the nuts! Blokes don't normally does this - for good reason - so most don't defend for it. I would only ever do this if I had no choice. My move I use at the moment is quick step towards them a kick to the back of the knee so when they fall I turn and punch them in the side of the head. Always stuns them and a few cases knocked them out.
20 August 2013, 19:35,
There are some interesting responses to this question.

Let's look at a few things first, and then I'll answer with my 'favourite self defence move'.

If you are up close and personal, if you can grab their face/neck/arms, then that means you are more than likely within, what I call, the "You're going to get punched" distance. Consider someone grabbing your throat. Natural reaction is to flail and smack the person grabbing your throat. So if you grab theirs, you're going to get punched - see where that name comes from? If you punch them, is your hand and the bones in it hardened and able to withstand the force? How about your wrist? Is your technique good enough to stop you being damaged by your own punch? I've seen people pop wrists from bad punches. Broken hands is VERY common in MMA as well.

Okay, so now we'll close the distance a little more, Elbows and headbutts. Once again, you're within the "You're going to get punched" distance. If someone is much bigger than you, this is the last place you want to be. Ever seen someone be grabbed and slammed to the floor? If so, how often do you see the slammed person win the fight? Having said that, if they're smaller than you, it's still not a great place to be.

Right, what about biting? Seriously? If you're having to bite a person, you can pretty much guarantee you're acting in a 'last resort' situation, and the fight very clearly isn't going your way. So you bite them, and they smash the crap out of you, because they're probably winning by that time anyway.

And now, the idea is to be a bit further away and be able to kick them, right? HAHA, don't be stupid!!! If you're untrained and unable to accurately kick a person, your shins are not hardened from years of practice, your technique isn't good enough to transfer the power you can generate properly, then a kick will likely see you in a hell of a lot of pain. Ever kicked a person and had them block the kick with their shin? How about kicking a person and having that person use their shin to smash against your ankle? I'll let you know, it fricking hurts!!! Good luck trying to run away when you can hardly stand up.

But clearly there is an issue here, right? No range is good enough? Well, I'm a fan of running away. If that's not an option, you could always try to talk your way out of it. Much smarter than trying to fight! If that doesn't work, then you're kind of 'shit out of luck' and need to rely on your well practiced techniques.

I am not worried the man who has practiced 10'000 punches once. I am worried about the man who has practice one punch 10'000 times. - Bruce Lee.

As brilliant as 'favourite moves' are, they are only as effective as you are.

The best move is the one that buys you enough time to be able to run away.

If you are unpracticed, you're going to be in for a MAJOR SHOCK in your first fight. Training in martial arts is a good place to start, but unless you actually get into a proper fight, everything you talk about is nothing but pretty ideas. In a fight, you can't really bamboosal a person with pretty ideas.

Get to a club, start practicing, then get yourself somewhere that does 80% or more of full contact sparing. After a few months, come back and see what works best for you. When you've done that, then reanswer this question.

McCavity sticks to boxing, because that's what he knows and has practiced. If you don't know it and have not practiced it, I'd recommend you don't rely on it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 August 2013, 09:57,
(15 August 2013, 23:10)Dave13 Wrote: Punch to the nose or chest get a good one and down they go.

If you can, I recommend Krav Maga over all others, its devised to be quick to learn and brutally effective, less DoJos, Mats, Gias and monotomous air puching, and more hard floors, sparring against 3 at once, and the use of a rolled up newspaper.
22 August 2013, 11:32,
The problem with a lot of martial arts, and maybe those members who have trained in one will agree, is that a little knowledge can be a very bad thing to new comers who think they have an edge with a little training. Unless you have trained at full combat speed against a variety of situations you may have an inflated view of your capabilities, and this could be very fatal for our have a go hero. Discretion really is the better part of valour and cemetaries are full of heroes. Fight when you have no other choice.
22 August 2013, 11:37,
(22 August 2013, 09:57)MikeA Wrote:
(15 August 2013, 23:10)Dave13 Wrote: Punch to the nose or chest get a good one and down they go.

If you can, I recommend Krav Maga over all others, its devised to be quick to learn and brutally effective, less DoJos, Mats, Gias and monotomous air puching, and more hard floors, sparring against 3 at once, and the use of a rolled up newspaper.

Aye, I loved Krava Maga. Systema is another good one to learn also
25 August 2013, 15:46,
Vulcan death grip.

Cos I iz pucker 'ard Cool

http://testing.gobanana.co.uk/wp-content...6/grip.png

WaylanderAngel
25 August 2013, 15:53,
Having a default defense move hampers you because you may use it in an unsuitable situation...you need options and a clear mind