Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a question
20 August 2013, 06:07,
RE: Just a question
I have about 12 months supply of protein shakes just incase. And I just have to mix that with water and I have a strawberry, banana or chocolate drink. I also have several other types of protein bodybuilding supplements.
20 August 2013, 06:57,
I am not up to date with the cost of either the dehydrated slimming shakes nor the sportsman/ biody builder shakes, but when I last looked they were a very expensive way of getting nutrition.

I wouldn't mind betting that pound for pound you can get more storable calorific food value in other forms.

But these dried foods do have the advantage of being easily stored for long periods as they are light, non bulky and have long shelf lives.

Mary N is right, after an event, when preps are being relied upon, more calorific value, not less will be required.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 August 2013, 10:48,
When were all eating bugs and worms a nice tasty slim fast strawberry milkshake might be just the thngWink
21 August 2013, 07:24,
This is something I've put a lot of thought into.

My background is bodybuilding and 5 years of MMA. My wife's degree is human biology and nutrition. I am currently working on building a sports nutrition company (very early days at the moment). Just so that you know where I'm coming from with this reply.

First up, it depends on the quality of the product. This means the speed it digests at, the percentage of nutrients that get digested, and the various types of nutrients. Not all shakes are created equal.

Next up comes the complex part, what's your situation going to be WTSHTF? Obviously this is unknowable. But I'll let you know why it's important. If you are holding a little extra chub WTSHTF, then you would do well to trim a little. Considering you'll be laying low early on WTSHTF, your calorific requirements won't be massive. In this kind of situation, SF shakes would be golden. Quick to make, easy to move with, no cleaning required (rinse the shaker before and after each use and don't leave over 24hrs between uses, then you're sorted). You'll lose a little weight, but your stores of more calorific products would be available for when you needed them.

Now, let's consider a different approach. You use SF shakes, while hou're established in a routine post SHTF. You're going to lack calories at times when you'll be doing more exercise than when you were laying low. Not cool. However, as a delicious snack...why not?

The conclusion of specifically using SF powder (going into protein powders can wait until I'm more awake...12hr nightshift) for shakes in a SHTF scenario...very adventagious. Having said that, do I think there are other MRP/MRS's I'd rather have? Damn right there is!!! But I'd rather take SlimFast powder over none at all! With that in mind, if you already have some unopened and ready to pack away, then go for it. If not, then I'd recommend looking around for higher quality powders and shakes instead of going for SF.

Hope that helps.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 August 2013, 20:58,
Whey Powder + Oatmeal + some fruit + Milk

Blend

Rinse and Repeat