Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
helmet
23 August 2013, 21:57, (This post was last modified: 23 August 2013, 21:57 by Mortblanc.)
RE: helmet
The entertainment value of this website continues to astound me.

There are specific reasons why the modern armies of the world INSIST that their rank and file troops wear a helmet, and have continued that insistence for thousands of years.

28% of the injuries in present hostile environments are head wounds (yes SHTF is a hostile environment). Less than 20% of those head wounds are caused by bullets. The remaining 80% are due to concussion, object impact or movement trauma, ie, getting your bell rung!

These are the statistics for people wearing the helmet! Imagine what they would be if they were NOT wearing the helmet?

It is also the reason that insurance companies require helmets be worn on job sites.

Do you ever remember seeing riot response police go into action without a helmet? Did you think that there might be a reason for that?

Granted, one might not want to be wearing a military helmet, police or fire brigade helmet in certain situations, but I have noticed that more of the organized and professional rioters here in the states have started wearing construction worker helmets lately.

Another item I keep in my GHB is a set of padded fiberglass knee pads. One of the things that always misdirected my attention in combat was that we were constantly going to one knee behind cover, to scan or plan, and our knees took a real beating. The troops of today are issued knee protection.

I would avoid a bike helmet at all costs, not because they would not work, but due to the wimp factor.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...w&dur=1845
7 September 2013, 07:43,
I keep a snowboarding helmet with my kit. Not too expensive in Tresspass at the end of the season, and provides good protection. Also its not too bulky so doesn't stand out and could easily be worn under a hoody. Its also useful for sporting activities such as tobogganing, (on the rare occasions we actually get enough snow here in the south).
7 September 2013, 08:32,
I'm considering one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-12210-B...416e16bd39

I've seen mechanics using them, and more recently some contractors we use have them, a bit less conspicuous than some other options i think you'll agree
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 September 2013, 09:08,
I believe in a shtf situation the fact that someone is wearing a helmet(of any kind) might attract attention and could lead into the very confrontation they are trying to avoid.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 September 2013, 10:11,
aye BP, I deffo wont wear a one that said police on it ! the ones the Securicor guys wear when they go to banks etc look restrictive and heavy....good having the anti cosh bit on the back of the neck bit...but the downside has to be the hearing factor. id maybe wear a cycle helmet ?? as they are v light and really just polystyrene type material...and you don't notice it after a while, id make the kids wear theirs if we got into a sticky situ and had to travel rough/hostile area/terrain.
7 September 2013, 10:19,
(7 September 2013, 10:11)RoadWarrior Wrote: aye BP, I deffo wont wear a one that said police on it ! the ones the Securicor guys wear when they go to banks etc look restrictive and heavy....good having the anti cosh bit on the back of the neck bit...but the downside has to be the hearing factor. id maybe wear a cycle helmet ?? as they are v light and really just polystyrene type material...and you don't notice it after a while, id make the kids wear theirs if we got into a sticky situ and had to travel rough/hostile area/terrain.

Yes RW, I think cycle helmets wont draw TOO much attention and will stop most blows or impacts, larger helmets are probably too restrictive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 September 2013, 10:31,
i think someone should actually test how sturdy cycle helmets are,

I mean, i broke a bit off of mine when i dropped it from about 3ft, and i'm not talking a wee bit, it was about 2" long.

i reckon a house brick or a good thump with a stick and it'd be rendered useless
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 September 2013, 18:33,
(23 August 2013, 21:57)Mortblanc Wrote: The entertainment value of this website continues to astound me.

Very pleased we can still entertain you, we knew you joined for a reason
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 September 2013, 08:18, (This post was last modified: 8 September 2013, 08:19 by Prepper1.)
RE: Bell Rogue Helmet.
This is a nice skid lid, looks suitable for uses as montblanc suggests ie falling rocks due to explosions etc.

The reason as montblanc says us squadies wore helmets is to protect from flying debris mainly, a mortar round kicks up loads of shit, as does an i.e.d. the odd bullet, not the old steel uk ones but the kevlar ones and the us ones are bullet "resistant" that's why you wore a fragmentation vest as well most injuries come from fragmentation of some sort, glass, grenades, high velocity dog turds....whatever...

This helmet has the ears open so at least you can hear still.

Helmet wearing I suppose would depend on what type of situation you think you'd be exposing yourself too.

I wouldn't be exposing myself to normal battle conditions I wouldn't think so I wouldn't need a military lid.

But saying that, if I was in a situation where flying debris was likely, the baseball caps would get blown off by the blast wave so they'd be renderd useless that's why helmets have straps on.

Maybe something like this, probably would even take an army helmet cover for camo if you needed it too.

Depends entirely on what agro you think your going to get doesnt it?

wrol situation with a gang with baseball bats, may indeed save your life.

Point blank 12 gauge, or pistol etc wasting your time...

[Image: Bell-Rogue-Motorcycle-Helmet-1.jpg]

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/...lmet-2.jpg

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/...lmet-3.jpg

[Image: Bell-Rogue-Motorcycle-Helmet-2.jpg]

[Image: Bell-Rogue-Motorcycle-Helmet-3.jpg]
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 September 2013, 16:44,
Special forces seem to have ditched the traditional ballistic style helmets in favour of what looks to me like lightweight climbing helmets....if its good enough for delta and the seals et al...then i'd be willing...going to get bumpcaps at some point in the future...as i expect after an event i may be in some unstable environments and it may just save my noggin from rioter chucking rocks.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!