Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covert camping in the woods
23 August 2013, 09:51,
RE: Covert camping in the woods
(23 August 2013, 06:38)Kenneth Eames Wrote: BM, Many places like this in my area and occassionaly you find an old house without a roof. Cover with a tarp and you have a place for the night. Many of these places are deep in the woods. I think that you could have many places to bug out here. THere are plenty of streams and some springs in the West of Scotland. Kenneth Eames.

Hi Kenneth,

personally I'd be a bit wary of kipping in an old house without roof. You can't be sure of the structural integrity of the building. Although I have seen some that appear to be held up only be the ivy and tree's that have enveloped it Smile

Before we moved to Cornwall I did look at a few houses up in the Highlands, but the work I do is based mainly in the South of England. Leeds being the most Northerly office. That's a VERY long trek to work!
Beautiful place though, I really must go back
23 August 2013, 10:22,
It sounds like you learnt some valuable lessons on your trip BM, not the least about being detected, it would certainly make me think about security next time. If this would have been a SHTF scenario, it could have had a very different outcome, makes you think eh?
23 August 2013, 10:40,
(23 August 2013, 10:22)Tartar Horde Wrote: It sounds like you learnt some valuable lessons on your trip BM, not the least about being detected, it would certainly make me think about security next time. If this would have been a SHTF scenario, it could have had a very different outcome, makes you think eh?

TH that dog walker that fell over BM would have been a local, not a sheeple looking for somewhere to camp, the chances of that NOW are slim post shtf they would be non existent, not many people would know the area where BM now lives, its not really a tourist area.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 August 2013, 10:46,
(23 August 2013, 10:22)Tartar Horde Wrote: It sounds like you learnt some valuable lessons on your trip BM, not the least about being detected, it would certainly make me think about security next time. If this would have been a SHTF scenario, it could have had a very different outcome, makes you think eh?

Worry ye not sir, in a SHTF scenario then we would have been much deeper in the woods, and someone would have been keeping a look out.
But we should have been much more careful in all honesty.
I'm going to broach the subject with the missus, and see if I'm allowed to disappear for a night this weekend. I can have a much better look around that way. 2 weeks in a row though, I'll probably get a slap!
25 August 2013, 20:24,
Always remember, one can only go halfway into the woods.

Past that and you are just getting closer to the other side!
3 September 2013, 15:57,
Had a revisit on Friday night for another overnighter, this time with Winston (the dog)
Took the Vango Dart 200 as that's what I bought for camping with Winston. Went to a different spot in the woods this time (not on the path!) and set up camp.

Didn't want to risk a fire, so used the trangia mess kit and a gel stove. Cooked my rat pack in no time, very pleased with the mess kit. Winston spent his evening switching between wandering aimlessly and trying to sneak up and steal dinner.

Dog was very chilled out, until the head torches came out, then he went crazy for a bit chasing the light. My new Uco candle should solve this to a degree. All was nice and peaceful, until about 11ish when the dog jumps up and goes ballistic, growling, barking, he was not happy! This scared the shit out of my mate

"There's something in the woods!" he cried.

"Of course there's something in the fucking woods, dimwit, I'd be more scared if it were devoid of life" I bravely replied, whilst trying not to let that little bit of wee out.

Thankfully the dog is far scarier than anything I've ever bumped into in the woods, so I wasn't that concerned. Plus Winston & I were in the tent, and my mate was just under a tarp, so if some big Cornish beast did turn up, well, he's the first one to go Big Grin

Trekking off into the woods when ill really wasn't the best idea though. Yes, the tent kept me dry, and the Czech army bed roll was almost too warm to sleep in, but no sleep mat and hard cold ground took it's toll. I awoke Saturday at 0500 aching all over, shoulder in terrible pain, being spooned by Winston. Quite a surreal moment to be honest. 0500 was way too early to break camp and pack up, so doing what I do best, I went back to sleep for another 4 hours.

Woke up the second time to glorious sunshine, perfect start to the day! Packed up the gear slowly, the tent is a pain in the arse to put away. It's not difficult, but I'm worried the poles are about to snap instead of bend! If I can get Winston used to sleeping under a tarp, with me in the hammock, that'd be better. So more woods time is required.

Hope to get out this weekend, but I don't know if I dare ask the wife! Hormonal pregnant women are not to be tangled with, especially ones with direct access to my testicles...
3 September 2013, 17:04,
Does Winston have a back pack?,.. if not train him to carry some of your load,.. might be very handy one day
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 September 2013, 17:15,
(3 September 2013, 17:04)Highlander Wrote: Does Winston have a back pack?,.. if not train him to carry some of your load,.. might be very handy one day

Aye, indeed he does!
He carries:
water (I always have spare JIC or a filter)
food (for him, I don't trust him with mine!)
FAK (same as human one)
dog poo bags (I don't poop in bags)
treats (for him, not me!)

I'll be adding in

Glowsticks or life jacket flashing beacon (so I can see the sneaky bugger attempt to steal my dinner or go and hide)
and a pen and paper, just in case I get stuck in the woods (again) and have to send him for help. how much help he'd be I don't know - but I would think a rotty running wild would attract attention of some sorts quite quickly, and it weighs nowt so no reason not to.

I'm sure there's things I'm missing there for him.

I think he could do with some better pannier bags to be honest, the cool ones only seem to be available in the states.
3 September 2013, 20:28,
I got really fed up with the back packs we can buy, I think my dogs probably went through about five or six of them, different types, but none were any good, so in the end I made my own from military webbed belts and Highlander large pouches, works a treat, and have lasted a long time without so much as a rubbed mark
A major part of survival is invisibility.