Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware of the FAKE prepper!!
22 August 2013, 17:22,
RE: Beware of the FAKE prepper!!
(22 August 2013, 17:14)MikeA Wrote: I've adopted this "prepping" lifestyle for a while now and I hope I've seen it all, and while personal OPSEC is important, no man (or prepper) is an island ad the greatest chance of your survival, be it a flat tyre in the middle of winter without a jack, or defending the perimeter post SHTF, is with other people.

yeah, well I suppose as a military man you would say that Mike, some of us have different opinionsBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2013, 17:33,
(22 August 2013, 17:14)MikeA Wrote: the greatest chance of your survival ..... is with other people.

Yup. Others you know & trust.
22 August 2013, 17:40,
best way if you think your survival is with other people is to get to know people now, get to know who you can trust and more importantly who you CANNOT trust, no use waiting until Post Shtf, Mike you've done that by joining the Dartmoor Group.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2013, 21:44,
(22 August 2013, 17:40)bigpaul Wrote: best way if you think your survival is with other people is to get to know people now, get to know who you can trust and more importantly who you CANNOT trust, no use waiting until Post Shtf, Mike you've done that by joining the Dartmoor Group.

You don't want to be know as the Hounds of the Baskervilles then?

22 August 2013, 22:14,
(22 August 2013, 21:44)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [quote='bigpaul' pid='67572' dateline='1377189653']
best way if you think your survival is with other people is to get to know people now, get to know who you can trust and more importantly who you CANNOT trust, no use waiting until Post Shtf, Mike you've done that by joining the Dartmoor Group.

Definitely mate, looking forward to the next meets !
22 August 2013, 22:26,
I think I might buck the tread here a bit, in as much as no-one can really know how dedicated someone is from postings on a forum,.. he maybe comes across a bit macho, a bit of a know all,... but that doesn't mean he is not macho and knows a great deal

We often say that we think that after a few post we get the manor of the man, but can we really?, I am sure we all know people who have surprised us in the past with things they have known of have done.

.....and then there are those who seem to know very little who when the shtf will come out as heros, because they took in things on the quiet

Meeting prepers is a far better way, hear their reactions or answers to direct questions without time to write and re-write something will give you are much clearer idea of who they are,... but just bear in mind that even then a prepper by his very nature is not going to show all of his hand to anyone for a long time,...........We just never know, `theres nowt as strange as folk` as my mum used to say
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 August 2013, 00:34,
(22 August 2013, 14:11)Gizmo Wrote: Disillusioned with Prepping Forums and a lot of the idiots who inhabit them ?
100%

Bye then. So sorry you didn't find what you wanted...

23 August 2013, 09:22,
People get different things out of these forums. Some think it is great, others think it is crap. Hopefully there is more of the former.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 August 2013, 21:50,
(22 August 2013, 14:30)NorthernRaider Wrote: Good post Gizmo, I admire your honesty and open opinion.

Never been one to beat around the bush, just felt a few things needed saying Smile

(22 August 2013, 14:40)Binnie Wrote: Great post Gizmo, it's good to see someone else who has taken "the red pill" and can see past bullshit!

there is heaps of great posts out there, but there is a fair few that are not.

You are probably right Binnie, though some days it is hard to find the good posts amongst all the bulls**t

(22 August 2013, 22:26)Highlander Wrote: I think I might buck the tread here a bit, in as much as no-one can really know how dedicated someone is from postings on a forum,.. he maybe comes across a bit macho, a bit of a know all,... but that doesn't mean he is not macho and knows a great deal

We often say that we think that after a few post we get the manor of the man, but can we really?, I am sure we all know people who have surprised us in the past with things they have known of have done.

.....and then there are those who seem to know very little who when the shtf will come out as heros, because they took in things on the quiet

Meeting prepers is a far better way, hear their reactions or answers to direct questions without time to write and re-write something will give you are much clearer idea of who they are,... but just bear in mind that even then a prepper by his very nature is not going to show all of his hand to anyone for a long time,...........We just never know, `theres nowt as strange as folk` as my mum used to say

I agree with most of that Highlander. You certainly cant work out who to trust by what they post on the internet but you can make an educated decision on whether someone is full of crap or has bugger all knowledge of the subject they are discussing based on what they post.

(23 August 2013, 00:34)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(22 August 2013, 14:11)Gizmo Wrote: Disillusioned with Prepping Forums and a lot of the idiots who inhabit them ?
100%

Bye then. So sorry you didn't find what you wanted...

Thanks ever so much for your concern, I'm really touched that you are "so sorry" in fact i'm welling up as we speak. However, I didn't say I was going anywhere - unless SD bans me for pointing out a few home truths

(23 August 2013, 09:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: People get different things out of these forums. Some think it is great, others think it is crap. Hopefully there is more of the former.

There are certainly some great posts on the forum SD, but unfortunately they get buried under the mountains of crap posts by the type of idiot i mentioned in my original post. Some people obviously spend hours researching and posting some of their articles but then when someone new joins the forum they dont find that stuff, all they find is a pile of crap from the idiots and internet tough guys. My personal opinion is that is why many of the new people don't hang around that long. Unfortunately they then lose the opportunity to gain a good start in prepping, and the forum loses new people who may have potentially added to the knowledge base
26 August 2013, 09:30,
I suspect that some of those remarks are directed at me and others like me, "water off a ducks back" springs to mind, goodbye and good luck.Tongue