Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Know your patch
22 August 2013, 13:41,
Know your patch
Autumn is a great time for scouting out the best fruiting trees and bushes in you neighbourhood, with an eye to improving them with a little bit of Guerilla gardening. Many of the wild sown fruit trees and bushes get out of hand if left to their own devices, with judicious pruning they can be made more bountiful, plus it helps the tree by cutting out the dead wood. I look at it this way, I know I can get a good supply of free fruit every Autumn without fail. In a survival situation frsh fruit is an obvious advantage,(if you know where to find it) and that is why scouting your area and being able to identify the trees is so important.
Looking to the future you could also plant selected bushes etc in favourable places where only you know they are growing, for instance Raspberrys grow really well in dappled/shady areas well suited to planting alongside woods. You can buy dwarf varieties of Apples, plums and pears etc for not much money, and they are really productive, and importantly do not take up much room. A little preparation now will see you literally harvest the rewards.
[i]fortuna favit mentat paratae
Fortune favours the prepared mind... Marcus Porcius Cato