Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What!!! no flint
22 August 2013, 14:07,
What!!! no flint
A lot of emphasis it put on the ability to make flint points when regarding survival archery, but what if you live in an area without any naturaly occuring flint, like the SW of the UK? The answer is simple use bone. With a few modern tools like hacksaws and sanders you can make efficient aesthetic bone points. The use of such points is well documented in the Archaeological record, and let us not forget the range and size of the animals taken with them. Although power tools make the task easier and quicker you can do just as good a job using hand tools.
You can get the Bone from Pets R us etc, and it is bleached white, you need to buy the big size for large dogs as it comes in a few different lengths. Here's a link to a video showing the exact same method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...iL0eFOONmo
22 August 2013, 14:33,
RE: What!!! no flint
yeah, I thought of using tin but would need quite thick tin or else it will fold on impact. using bone would be ok but what if you haven't got a bandsaw? I've only got a jigsaw and what about after TSHTF when the power goes down? back to a big lump hammer I suppose?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2013, 14:36,
(22 August 2013, 14:33)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, I thought of using tin but would need quite thick tin or else it will fold on impact. using bone would be ok but what if you haven't got a bandsaw? I've only got a jigsaw and what about after TSHTF when the power goes down? back to a big lump hammer I suppose?
No you can use a hacksaw BP, and to sand it use sandpaper or sandstone, do try and keep up old beanBig Grin
22 August 2013, 14:46,
(22 August 2013, 14:36)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(22 August 2013, 14:33)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, I thought of using tin but would need quite thick tin or else it will fold on impact. using bone would be ok but what if you haven't got a bandsaw? I've only got a jigsaw and what about after TSHTF when the power goes down? back to a big lump hammer I suppose?
No you can use a hacksaw BP, and to sand it use sandpaper or sandstone, do try and keep up old beanBig Grin

yeah right sorry, of course, I have seen our butcher cut through bone with a hacksaw....silly me, I have looked online but i'm having trouble finding bones for sale, course post SHTF i'll have to take a walk on Dartmoor and actually find some sheep bones....isn't that hard I've done it beforeBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2013, 14:47,
(22 August 2013, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote:

yeah right sorry, of course, I have seen our butcher cut through bone with a hacksaw....silly me, I have looked online but i'm having trouble finding bones for sale, course post SHTF i'll have to take a walk on Dartmoor and actually find some sheep bones....isn't that hard I've done it beforeBig Grin
Pets r us sell the exact same bones as in the vid mate.
22 August 2013, 14:48,
actually, I saw some bone arrow points in the gallery at the WG, very sharp too!!
22 August 2013, 14:49, (This post was last modified: 22 August 2013, 14:52 by Tartar Horde.)
(22 August 2013, 14:47)Tartar Horde Wrote:

I tell you what BP, if you ever come across some red deer antler/tines i would trade you some pointsBig Grin

(22 August 2013, 14:48)bigpaul Wrote: actually, I saw some bone arrow points in the gallery at the WG, very sharp too!!
They are not to be underestimated mate, like I say our ancestors used them for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...aQiflzzpLU
22 August 2013, 14:53,
(22 August 2013, 14:49)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(22 August 2013, 14:47)Tartar Horde Wrote:

I tell you what BP, if you ever come across some red deer antler/tines i would trade you some pointsBig Grin

i'll keep a look out but not something I usually fall over, now sheeps skulls is another matter! the only Petsrus I can find dosent seem to list bones.