Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow help please!
23 August 2013, 11:48,
Bow help please!
Hi,

wonder if anyone can help me, I'm trying to find out what length string I need for a 4'6" Jaques longbow. 58 inches seems to be the shortest I can find, but the bow is only 54 inches, so that can't be right - can it??
23 August 2013, 11:50, (This post was last modified: 23 August 2013, 11:54 by bigpaul.)
RE: Bow help please!
normally if you quote the bow length then they will supply the right string, TH will confirm if I am right but I think generally the string is 4 inches shorter than the bow. have you tried Quicks or Merlin Archery??

"Quicks QD 50 for fibreglass bows": £4.50
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 August 2013, 11:56,
Does it matter than it's a Jaques wooden bow? 17lbs it says on the bow itself
23 August 2013, 12:19,
there are various strings on the Quicks Bowstring page, you can get a stock one for a lighter bow for about £4.25 or so.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 August 2013, 12:27,
Cheers BP.

Ah, the arm guard has just been delivered by the postman! Absolutely perfect, cheers BP, I owe you one!
23 August 2013, 12:32,
(23 August 2013, 12:27)BeardyMan Wrote: Cheers BP.

Ah, the arm guard has just been delivered by the postman! Absolutely perfect, cheers BP, I owe you one!

glad your so easily satisfied!Big GrinBig Grin
23 August 2013, 12:38,
(23 August 2013, 12:32)bigpaul Wrote:

Big Grin Anything that stops an 8 inch bruise on the arm is satisfying!
23 August 2013, 12:41,
(23 August 2013, 12:38)BeardyMan Wrote:
(23 August 2013, 12:32)bigpaul Wrote:

Big Grin Anything that stops an 8 inch bruise on the arm is satisfying!

Big GrinBig Grin
23 August 2013, 12:48,
(23 August 2013, 11:48)BeardyMan Wrote: Hi,

wonder if anyone can help me, I'm trying to find out what length string I need for a 4'6" Jaques longbow. 58 inches seems to be the shortest I can find, but the bow is only 54 inches, so that can't be right - can it??
The length of the string for a Longbow or straight bow is around 4 inches shorter than the total length of the bow, just a benchmark as this depends on your individual bracing height and how much twist you put into the string. It sounds like you have a junior bow there BM as it it not the right length for an adult as a longbow, also the draw weight of 17lbs definately makes me think it is a junior bow. They are designed for relatively short draw lengths as a childs arms are not as long as an adults, so I would be carefull when drawing it 28 inches or so, especially if it is not backed by clear glass etc, it may break!!! wear a helmet lol
23 August 2013, 12:57,
Cheers TH, it's not mine, matey next door pulled it out of his grandads loft.

21 inch arrows according to the writing on the bow itself.

I'll let him know to expect a knock on the head if he pulls it back too far though, and I'll not stand too close Wink
Cheers for the heads up!