Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage Ideas
30 August 2013, 15:05,
RE: Food Storage Ideas
I do like the idea of dehydrated food, but unlike tins which can be rotated and used, I am loath to buy a lot of dehydrated stuff which might NEVER be used.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 August 2013, 15:55,
(30 August 2013, 15:05)bigpaul Wrote: I do like the idea of dehydrated food, but unlike tins which can be rotated and used, I am loath to buy a lot of dehydrated stuff which might NEVER be used.

I have a reasonable quantity of dehydrated food in store, mainly cached outside. I always work on principle of rotation and only, at least mainly, storing food that one likes.

Pointless storing stuff that would be wasted I agree but we always include some of our stores into regular meals so we use it and replace it, rotate.

Also what is point in buying it if when SHTF you don't like it and are not even use to the taste of it, beside as stated the waste.
30 August 2013, 16:17, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2013, 16:18 by River Song.)
The Idea of "eat what you store" and "Store what you eat" is good ........ in theory.
So is rotation of said stocks.

However, in the River Song Tardis, we don't eat out of cans or packets generally speaking.
All of our food is fresh apart from Rice and Pasta and when I mean fresh, I mean seriously fresh.

It may well be that our investment in preps in cans may well be money down the drain but I don't think so.
If bad times are not around the corner I am more than willing to give this stuff away
to people who have nothing.

I have tried dehydrating but with little success. I need to be more scientific about it. Throwing a
punnet of strawberries in the trays and leaving it on high for 48 hours doesnt do it.

It would be truly wonderful to have a freeze-drier but i reckon they cost a fortune. Being a serious foodie
I reckon I could make a good business by freeze drying gourmet foods. How about freeze dried vension in a blueberry sauce?

Bring me an alligator sandwich and make it snappy
30 August 2013, 16:37,
we also eat mostly fresh and I have always had trouble with storing tins from the very start, so we only stock tins of what we DO eat and don't stock tins of what we don't eat, we only put out 1 or 2 tins a fortnight for the recycling, maybe 3 or 4 in the winter, it gets used but very slowly. the trouble is, as I was saying, we don't eat Dehydrated stuff-as opposed to dried- AT ALL and so the only time this will get used is in an emergency IF and when that happens.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 August 2013, 18:02,
@BP

So how do you store fresh? It would be helpful if you could describe your food preps
(without of course compromising your opsec)

Cheers
30 August 2013, 18:09,
well, of course, in a SHTF situation once the power goes off it wouldn't be possible to keep any fresh, some could be kept in an old chest freezer semi buried in the garden and used as a root cellar, that's why we have a stock of tins and dried stuff of course.
30 August 2013, 20:52,
(30 August 2013, 18:02)River Song Wrote: So how do you store fresh? It would be helpful if you could describe your food preps
(without of course compromising your opsec)

When we were taking down an old shed we found 2 manhole covers, both were for old brick built cesspits that were filled in with soil and rubble.
Cleared one done it up fitted ventilation and shelving use it as a root cellar now. Still got the other one to clear back breaking taking out a bucket full at a time.
Failure is NOT an option
3 September 2013, 20:43,
Variety is the spice of life, I would try to mix it up a little, same meals every day for a month, not only boring but nutritionally a bad idea you will need a mix of foods for the itamins and minerals