Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage Ideas
29 August 2013, 20:41, (This post was last modified: 29 August 2013, 20:42 by River Song.)
RE: Food Storage Ideas
Yes - Opening cans and repacking is a bit of a non starter.

Tomorrow I'll habe a go at packing one bucket and report back.

I was going to say Merci Buckets but thats a bit silly

Out of interest I got a case of conservas tins of german sausage with cabbage
I should have heated it properly because OH says it was disgusting.
29 August 2013, 21:23,
(29 August 2013, 20:41)River Song Wrote: Out of interest I got a case of conservas tins of german sausage with cabbage
I should have heated it properly because OH says it was disgusting.

it could be fermented cabbage as in sauerkraut

if it is I've been told that it need a good rinsing with water before cooking

I'll check tomorrow and let you know
29 August 2013, 23:14,
(27 August 2013, 07:09)River Song Wrote: For me, it was the idea of modular preps/

I've got this 15 month supply list which is extensive butg I just
can't get my head around it. It's just too much for me to understand and
I know the rule about - but it bit by bit but on my finances I can't see an end to it.

Similarly, SELCO's list talks about 200 cans of this and 200 cans of that and 100kgs of this
and I just can't hack it.

But I CAN understand and source buckets that are filled, not with single items, but with everything needed (foodwise) for 14 days for 2 people or 1 month for 1 person.

I've ordered 10 x 25 litre buckets with lids at £5 each - not too bad. I reckon I can probably fill one of these easily.

In view of what I believe to be a worsening International Situation re Syria and Mid east, I'm going active.

.... and BTW .... just to continue the off thread bit, if I was a dyke, (which I'm not), I would still find Marianne's voice sexy. Anyone know where I can get Mars Bars wholesale??

I like the idea of building up food stocks in this way because should you run out of time the stores you have would be quite balanced and you wouldn't be left with any glaring ommissions in the inventory.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
29 August 2013, 23:49,
(29 August 2013, 20:11)Highlander Wrote:
(29 August 2013, 17:13)Rush2112 Wrote: RS, I agree with what you're trying to do. I also prefer to pack 2 weeks worth of food in one container. Sorry the buckets didn't work out. We use plastic bulk containers to keep the 2 weeks food in. Probably not as air tight as a bucket, but can fit 2 weeks food for 3 people in one. Any dry stuff like pasta, sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc goes in zip bags. As the food is used the zip bags then can be used for other things - like water storage. The containers when full are a bit heavy to handle, depending on how much canned goods are put in.

I would suggest that you store all dried food in coke bottles, fill them up and tap it down, they will tap down a few times before they are full

This form of storage is excellent, the bottle store well, either standing or lying down, the bottles dont degrade so you could store outside

We use them for Rice, oats and dried soups, some are stored inside some outside

thats a good suggestion. we do some of that too. one of the things i like about the zip bags is they pack in a box well, meaning they can go in lots of in-between spaces. the 2 ltr bottles are kind of odd shaped and take up lots of space. but when empty they make much better water container than a zip bag. it's a trade off i guess. I like both methods
30 August 2013, 07:26,
Thats why we suggest in the getting started section building up stocks slowly and not buying everything at once.Otherwise you have 16 months of flour, sugar and salt, because they were cheap and nothing else. Got to build it up correctly.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2013, 11:00,
(29 August 2013, 20:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: I wouldn't open tins and repackage. They won't last anywhere near as long all because you introduced germs.

Pasturise / blast it with UV light.

No germs then. No tins either.

Probably not ideal though.

So just store 2 weeks of dehydrated food for 2 people, and a water purifier.
30 August 2013, 12:59,
Water is not a problem. I have a number of filters.

Dehydrated - maybe.

I've done my first test this morning and
the buckets can contain food for 2 people x 7 days.

Breakfast - Combination of porridge + Jam or cereals
Possible dried eggs and bread

Lunch - either thick soup in cans or Dried Pasta in sauce

Dinner - Rice or Noodles or Pasta or Dried Potato
with Some form of canned ham or stewed beef or Tuna
Tomato Sauce.

Mid Morning and afternoon snack Bars

2 large bars of chocolate

Coffee / Honey / Dried Milk

That should see us through one week.

Second bucket gets filled later today. I'm looking for something other than
tomato sauce - could get tired.
30 August 2013, 13:34,
Cheese sauce
Failure is NOT an option
30 August 2013, 13:55,
I've heard about the UV light treatment. How can we do it? The machines that steralise the food packs in the real world use radiation.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2013, 14:44,
Iv got a large UV light on my pond filter.
You need very good eye protection to use UV light.
But iv no idea have you could sterilize food unless it was in clear plastic bags?
It does not seem very practical for food but it does work for water sterilization.