Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fancy your own well
13 August 2014, 09:12,
RE: Fancy your own well
Found this hope it helps
http://www.daleswater.co.uk/faqs/#Q15

13 August 2014, 21:36, (This post was last modified: 13 August 2014, 21:49 by Steve.)
(12 August 2014, 16:46)Stewart Wrote: We dug down about 10ft with spades.we had to keep boarding the sides to stop cave ins.we also had to dig it a lot wider to allow ourselves enough room to work. Not something I would attempt again

We dug down about 10ft with spades.we had to keep boarding the sides to stop cave ins.we also had to dig it a lot wider to allow ourselves enough room to work. Not something I would attempt again

We dug down about 10ft with spades.we had to keep boarding the sides to stop cave ins.we also had to dig it a lot wider to allow ourselves enough room to work. Not something I would attempt again

Well, you tried it three times already Big Grin

(12 August 2014, 16:57)bigpaul Wrote: its solid ball clay here and its a s#d to dig. all our plants are in raised beds.as soon as a plant hits the clay level it dies.

Clay is not "bad" soil, it often contains loads of useful minerals and will hold nutrients well once it's broken up. Normal advice is to plough in many tons of manure, not so practical in the average garden though. You could double dig and manure it, or for a less physical approach plant loads of comfrey on it. Comfrey sends down very deep roots, even through clay, it drags up useful minerals to the surface, and if you dig it in the rotting roots will leave useful drainage channels into the clay. "Bocking 14" is a good variety, it's sterile so won't take over your garden, easily propagated form root cuttings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey
16 August 2014, 19:45,
We've got an old National Trust well next to our house. The next summer project is to drain it with the pump and clear out the bits of wood, coins, gravel, skeletons, etc, then it's good to go for gardening or as a source of water for filtering. I't
would be ideal as it cuts out the trip to the local stream.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8