Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scavenging.
16 December 2011, 11:38,
RE: Scavenging.
Guys,

We are way off topic now. There is already a thread for picking a dog so you can contribute there and this one was about identifying tins. How diverse is that?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 April 2012, 21:39,
By the way, Ceasar dog food tastes nice, Got drunk at a birds house one night, got the munchies in the middle of the night and made a pate sarnie, tasted delicious, but the bird and the dog were far impressed when they discovered my midnight snack in the morning.
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
7 April 2012, 09:36,
I am sure that there is a key to grocery store layouts (I seem to remember reading someplace) that some key was developed in order to make the customer walk through the store as it had been laid out in some way to lead from one item to the next (If this makes any sense to you). So if this is the case, find someone who works in grocery retail and ask them for the key, At least this way you would have a rough idea of the type of foods stuff likely to be in the tin relative to where it was placed in the store.

Though as has already been said, just take them all and open them later as required. Even if it is dog food or cat food and you didn’t want to eat it, it can be used as bait for other animals for your pot, such as hedgehogs love cat food, Mr. Fox is partial to some dog food etc. All tasty nutrition.
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II
7 April 2012, 09:41,
the trouble with that Clansmen, is that the supermarkets regularly move stuff around, so one week its in one place and you go next week and its somewhere else!! they do it so you have to walk around to find it and of course you pick up other stuff as you do so.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2012, 10:10,
(7 April 2012, 09:41)bigpaul Wrote: the trouble with that Clansmen, is that the supermarkets regularly move stuff around, so one week its in one place and you go next week and its somewhere else!! they do it so you have to walk around to find it and of course you pick up other stuff as you do so.

Yes, my supermarket does the same bigpaul, does my head in, but most of the small local stores tend not to move things around (at least not the ones that I use).
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II
7 April 2012, 11:46,
I used to work in the shop/wholesale/confectionary world (Nestle). DAMN, they put more psychology into their budgets than they do chocolate!!! It's insane. But it's fascinating as well. But that's not the point of this post.

Tins are sold to the food companies, same as tyres are sold to car manufacturers. Any labelling on the tins will normally be the tinning companies own markings.

I am a little curious though. Why would you find a load of tins without labels?

I remember a film (can't remember what it was) where a guy was shaking tins and could tell the contents from the sound they made. It might not be true, but there is probably some validity. I reckon I could tell beans from packed meat, from fruit in juice, from custard. The sounds should be quite easy to differentiate. However, I couldn't tell some things, like beans from peas, and that. You're best off picking up tins and giving them a shake, then see if your ears are able to do it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2012, 11:56,
i think this is something you would find a little time AFTER TSHTF, in an abandoned store where the heating was off, get a little damp and the labels would peel off, i think in one of our pockets we would keep a small tin opener,you could then open one of the batch and see what it contained, mind you if it was me i would just grab ALL the tins and sort them out at home/retreat.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2012, 15:15,
If it was shtf and I came across this problem of finding tin food no labels I would have thought I was quite lucky and just open and eat whatever it turns out to be.
7 April 2012, 15:20,
if it was after TSHTF i dont think i would hang about opening tins and scoffing the contents, i think i would just grab as many as i could carry and scarper quick, before anyone else turned up.
7 April 2012, 22:04,
the film was one of the resident evils i think the extinction lol
to win the war, you must be willing to die