Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourites?
1 September 2013, 13:50,
RE: Favourites?
(31 August 2013, 22:06)Barneyboy Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 20:17)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 17:54)Barneyboy Wrote: so TH the bow that buggered is it the one you brought down here ,if so very sad it was a very nice bow ,oh yeah that long bow you gave me you can bugger off if you want it back pal Big Grin
Yeah mate that's the one, it's not beyond hope as I can send it back to The bowyer to fix it, but that could take up to six months. How you getting on with that beast barney? and did you sort out those Goose feathers?
Don't get me wrong Goose feathers are the best when it comes to fletchings as they have a natural water proofing put on by the Goose having a special gland for the job. And as any traditional archer knows, water and feathers don't mix, it collapses the vanes and they become useless. But where you are you should be able to get sacks of Turkey feathers for nowt mate, I would certainly look into it as you will have an endless supply of fletching material, and buying fletchings is not that cheap these days.

its the tits mate thanks ,the goose feathers I messed up but got some more so will try again ,not bloody easy is itSmile
1 September 2013, 14:07,
(1 September 2013, 13:50)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 22:06)Barneyboy Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 20:17)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 17:54)Barneyboy Wrote: so TH the bow that buggered is it the one you brought down here ,if so very sad it was a very nice bow ,oh yeah that long bow you gave me you can bugger off if you want it back pal Big Grin
Yeah mate that's the one, it's not beyond hope as I can send it back to The bowyer to fix it, but that could take up to six months. How you getting on with that beast barney? and did you sort out those Goose feathers?
Don't get me wrong Goose feathers are the best when it comes to fletchings as they have a natural water proofing put on by the Goose having a special gland for the job. And as any traditional archer knows, water and feathers don't mix, it collapses the vanes and they become useless. But where you are you should be able to get sacks of Turkey feathers for nowt mate, I would certainly look into it as you will have an endless supply of fletching material, and buying fletchings is not that cheap these days.

its the tits mate thanks ,the goose feathers I messed up but got some more so will try again ,not bloody easy is itSmile

bootiful just bootifulSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 September 2013, 14:37,
I saw a chap with a traditional bow when we were visiting Custom Built archery, his arrows were odd cos they did not have fletches in the common eccepted form of the term, not feathers and not plastic, they were long straggly fluffy things in a spiral shape.

I meant to ask him about them but forgot, any of you bowmen out there got any info on this devices cos they looked fascinating?
1 September 2013, 15:14, (This post was last modified: 1 September 2013, 15:47 by bigpaul.)
I may be wrong, from the description it sounds like something I've heard called a FRU-FRU but like I say I could be wrong!Big Grin

I believe I have it, I was nearly right! its called a FLU FLU, you can buy them at Quicks Archery for £4.65 each, the description says "big fletches to slow shaft down quick".so there you have it!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 September 2013, 10:26, (This post was last modified: 2 September 2013, 10:31 by Tartar Horde.)
(1 September 2013, 15:14)bigpaul Wrote: I may be wrong, from the description it sounds like something I've heard called a FRU-FRU but like I say I could be wrong!Big Grin

I believe I have it, I was nearly right! its called a FLU FLU, you can buy them at Quicks Archery for £4.65 each, the description says "big fletches to slow shaft down quick".so there you have it!
yep it's a FLU FLU does exactly what BP says, slows the arrow down, never seen the point to be honest, I want my arrows to be as fast as possibleBig Grin. You can experiment with arrows NR, you can put the fletchings on with a helical twist, or you can just use two fletchings and they will fly ok for short distances.

Arrows are the most important part of archery in my opinion because it doesn't matter on the quality of the bow if your arrows are shite, a crappy bow will be more accurate with good arrows than a top drawer bow shooting bad arrows. Ishi the last American indian knew a thing or two when he said " any stick can make a bow, but it takes a damn good stick to make an arrow"
2 September 2013, 10:33,
Thanks chaps I thought they were some tribal alternative to fletching.
NR