Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet MRE's
1 September 2013, 09:19, (This post was last modified: 1 September 2013, 09:21 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Wet MRE's
(1 September 2013, 06:04)River Song Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 23:28)Tdvsko Wrote: With regards to the MRE'S I am unsure how they made. But it is possible for food poisoning bacteria to grow without oxygen.

I am sorry Tdvsko but bacteria does NOT grow without oxygen. Nothing grows without oxygen.

Except Anaerobic bacteria

An anaerobic organism or anaerobe is any organism that does not require oxygen for growth. It may react negatively or even die if oxygen is present, which means that it can perform its bodily functions better in the absence of oxygen. An anaerobic organism may be unicellular or multicellular (like metazoa or more complex organisms like deep sea worms). A few parasites like Trichinella spiralis (pork worm) respire anaerobically in nurse cells (infected cell playing host to the juvenile parasite).[which?] Some largely unicellular anaerobic microbes are protozoans, but most of the anaerobic microbes are bacteria or Archaea. For practical purposes there are three categories:
obligate anaerobes, which are harmed by the presence of oxygen
aerotolerant organisms, which cannot use oxygen for growth, but tolerate the presence of it
facultative anaerobes, which can grow without oxygen but can utilize oxygen if it is present

In human beings these organisms are usually found in the gastrointestinal tract.[1] Some anaerobic bacteria produce clinically important toxins (e.g., tetanus).
1 September 2013, 09:25,
This is the reason I gave up coming here, all the bollox that is spouted.
River, I don’t know where you studied Microbiology, but your are sadly mistaken in your belief that Bacterium only grows in the presence of Oxygen. There are many strains that happily do so. The one of interest to home preservation enthusiasts is Clostridium Botulinum.
Taken from USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning.

Ensuring safe canned foods
Growth of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum in canned food may cause botulism—a deadly
form of food poisoning. These bacteria exist either as spores or as vegetative cells. The spores,
which are comparable to plant seeds, can survive harmlessly in soil and water for many years.
When ideal conditions exist for growth, the spores produce vegetative cells which multiply
rapidly and may produce a deadly toxin within 3 to 4 days of growth in an environment
consisting of:
• a moist, low-acid food
• a temperature between 40° and 120°F
• less than 2 percent oxygen.
Botulinum spores are on most fresh food surfaces. Because they grow only in the absence of
air, they are harmless on fresh foods.
Most bacteria, yeasts, and molds are difficult to remove from food surfaces. Washing fresh
food reduces their numbers only slightly. Peeling root crops, underground stem crops, and
tomatoes reduces their numbers greatly. Blanching also helps, but the vital controls are the
method of canning and making sure the recommended research-based process times, found
in these guides, are used.
The processing times in these guides ensure destruction of the largest expected number of
heat-resistant microorganisms in home-canned foods. Properly sterilized canned food will be
free of spoilage if lids seal and jars are stored below 95°F. Storing jars at 50° to 70°F
enhances retention of quality.

And here’s the link.
http://county.wsu.edu/kitsap/agriculture...Items.aspx

The only way to produce safe savoury meals is to pressure can them. You can buy retort pouches, which are able to withstand the high pressure and temperatures to safely preserve food. These would be perfect for wet MRE’s.

Speaking from personal experience, the only way you will find dehydrated fruit and veg for making up meals is in your own dehydrator, in the kitchen.
I pressure can a lot of food, I had one imported from USA for the princely sum of £83. I also did not pay VAT or the Post Office handling charge. So there’s another fallacy in the bin.

If only some people knew how to use the internet to their advantage.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
1 September 2013, 09:52,
(1 September 2013, 09:25)TOF Wrote: Speaking from personal experience, the only way you will find dehydrated fruit and veg for making up meals is in your own dehydrator, in the kitchen.

Coop sell packets of dehydrated fruits in small packets such as Banana, Mango, Strawberry, Papaya, as do many health food shops.
and
A while back at least Makro were selling catering sized bags foil wrapped of various dried fruits, must admit not seeing them recently though.
1 September 2013, 13:41,
Thank You NR

Thank You TOF although you came dangerously close to 'playing the man'.

In both cases, I stand corrected.