Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when your food runs out
31 August 2013, 21:10,
when your food runs out
when your food runs out what you going to do ??

can you milk a cow/goat

can you hunt / kill /gut /skin

can you farm / grow / plant / store your crops in winter

can you fish / gut / bate

when your food runs out and others too looking to feed their folk

what will you do ???
Survive the jive (youtube )
31 August 2013, 21:26,
RE: when your food runs out
It's too late to start, once your food has already run out.

Your stocks are just a stop gap, until your crops are ready.

And yes I can milk animals. Hunt/ kill / gralloch & prepare animals.

Living free range as a hunter gatherer will be nigh on impossible.

Some sort of agriculture and husbandry will be essential.

WaylanderCool
31 August 2013, 21:29,
Way before my food runs out i will be hunting and trapping, But most of all i will be growing my own food.
It will be grown on my own plot.
I also do a form of gorilla growing and i also fertilize those areas with my home grown chicken muck every year. So i know those areas could provide me with food even if everything in my garden got raided.
I have produced enough seed this year to grow enough food for at least 5 years.
Im the first one to admit i hate things like kale and i can just about manage spinach and cabbage but i still grow enough to feed us year round and nothing goes to waste because anything we done eat goes to the chickens.

I think the most dangerous thing is to be reliant on one source food.
31 August 2013, 21:32,
When my food runs out
and my crops fail
and I can't shoot game

then I shall take lots of drugs and die
31 August 2013, 22:16,
I can do all you mentioned,.. but as said before, the aim is never to run out, its no good after an emergency to simply sit back and enjoy the fruits of your savings, as soon as you possibly can you need to start foraging, hunting, fishing, and where possible live of what you catch,...leaving the stores intact

There will be plenty of days when you cant hunt/fish/forage, these are the days where your stores will be usefull.

.......but when possible, replace what you eat, get the gardening going
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 September 2013, 06:21,
I think that hidden gardens are my main hope, combined with fish traps. I do not think that hunting would be very successful for an old git. Maybe a few traps could be set but that would be all I could manage. Kenneth Eames.
1 September 2013, 10:43,
the whole idea of a food store is not too live on and then die when it all runs out, but to be used as a stop gap for 12-18 months whilst you get in your first harvest and breed your first animals for slaughter. to survive post shtf you must live by the rule of 3: 1. food storage. 2.grow fresh food and raise animals. 3.hunter/gatherer. if one fails you have the other 2 to fall back on, if you use only one you may fail, its a bit like MONO cropping-don't put all your eggs in one basket!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 September 2013, 10:49,
My own efforts at growing my own food have been constant failures year after year, I can grow tomatoes and small carrots, but my main crop appears to be huge amounts of green and brown slime. Accordingly and swiping Kenny Eames ideas I'm now making notes of where farmers seeded crops that have been blown or carried outside his fields to bits of wasteland and common land as possible sources of food. There is no shortage of furry and winged critters in this area but I'm under no misapprehension that they wont last long after TSHTF, which is why I'm learning more about harvesting the fruits of the north sea which is only 9 miles away
1 September 2013, 10:53,
(31 August 2013, 21:32)River Song Wrote: When my food runs out
and my crops fail
and I can't shoot game

then I shall take lots of drugs and die

bit pessimistic? funnily enough I expected more from you than a fatalistic attitude.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 September 2013, 11:26,
(1 September 2013, 10:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: My own efforts at growing my own food have been constant failures year after year, I can grow tomatoes and small carrots, but my main crop appears to be huge amounts of green and brown slime. Accordingly and swiping Kenny Eames ideas I'm now making notes of where farmers seeded crops that have been blown or carried outside his fields to bits of wasteland and common land as possible sources of food. There is no shortage of furry and winged critters in this area but I'm under no misapprehension that they wont last long after TSHTF, which is why I'm learning more about harvesting the fruits of the north sea which is only 9 miles away

You get green slime? I'm not even at that level. That is why I'm looking at Aquaponics. Trying to leave as much as possible to more sensible life forms.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin