Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WANTING....Sid's Surplus to open ASAP
4 September 2013, 17:24,
RE: WANTING....Sid's Surplus to open ASAP
(4 September 2013, 16:34)MCavity Wrote: Any affordable Night Vision gear would be good.

google DIY NV and you could be setup for about £200 - £300 for rilfe shooting out to 150 yards possible more

and the best thing about it is you can buy it in bits over time before bringing it all together
4 September 2013, 17:37,
(4 September 2013, 17:24)I-K-E Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 16:34)MCavity Wrote: Any affordable Night Vision gear would be good.

google DIY NV and you could be setup for about £200 - £300 for rilfe shooting out to 150 yards possible more

and the best thing about it is you can buy it in bits over time before bringing it all together

Aye, I've seen set ups made from cam-corder bits. Someone posted step by step instructions on instructables I think.
4 September 2013, 18:08,
(4 September 2013, 17:37)BeardyMan Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 17:24)I-K-E Wrote:

Aye, I've seen set ups made from cam-corder bits. Someone posted step by step instructions on instructables I think.

not just cam-corder bits you can pick up bullet cameras that work in the ir range too coupled up with ldc screen and a suitable irradiator
4 September 2013, 19:57,
i'd like decent night vision monocle like a bushnell...not after a gun sight per se...don't want to have to scan the environs with a gun....some people may take offense and it feels so wrong ...lol..old habits die hard.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 September 2013, 23:14,
Just sold a night owl marine pro monocular on ebay recently for £90. Was crap and of very limited use. Best thing about it was the advertising blurb about how great it was. Rubbish. Many of the ones advertised cheap will be no better if not worse.. "China" springs to mind :-(
A DIY set up might be superior and at least you could learn about and select decent components for the build. I have seen and used better homebuilts that cost considerably less and were far superior.
Trouble with IR emitting NV is that you are "lit up" to other NV users. Gen 3 onwards is usable outdoors without an IR emitter but is still hideously expensive!
NV Monoculars have a magnification factor and so walking using one at night is difficult if not dangerous. Using it for recon is ok, but very tricky whilst on the move. Goggles are different and magnify at 1 to 1, so movement is ok.

Thermal goggles - that's my Xmas wish list ... Can't quite afford it this month anyway...
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"