Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
improvised faraday cage
4 September 2013, 11:17,
RE: improvised faraday cage
Seeing that Aldi's selling incinerator cans tomorrow (£19.99) prompted me to go out to my local hardware store and finally buy a normal can with lid.

Interesting experimenting with this this morning. Radio most definitely won't work (even when the lid isn't on yet) but the mobile still does. A little research later shows that although mobiles work on electromagnetic signals, if the signal is strong enough ie the transmitter is close by, it'll still ring inside the can even with the lid on albeit with a weaker signal.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if we have a massive EMP whether cans like this will be enough to protect sensitive equipment.

Will look into this a bit more. Ideally want to protect one laptop and possibly an ECU from my bikes/car/van. Matter of fact, maybe I should put a spare solar controller in as well as it's got electronic circuits.

The list could go on and on...
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
4 September 2013, 11:28,
The lid may not be sealed all the way around which allows a signal in. Bins are not designed for faraday cages and an ill fitting lid makes taking it on and off easier. Put wire wool around the rim and then put the lid on or use aluminium tape to seal the lid to the bin and retry.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 11:44,
Interesting Nix.

Is the phone in insulated material away from the metal of the bin?

Is the lid of the bin making electrical contact (continuity) with base?

My mobile is completely dead when I try this.

Even if some RF energy is penetrating your bin, the shielding effect will still be an advantage in reducing potential EMP effects.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 September 2013, 12:48,
First thing I did was a continuity test between lid and can body and it passed with flying colours. The phone was insulated as well. The over lip of the lid should've been enough but I'll try the extra sealing SD suggested to see if it makes any difference. Totally killed the radio though!
4 September 2013, 13:06,
(4 September 2013, 12:48)Nix Wrote: First thing I did was a continuity test between lid and can body and it passed with flying colours. The phone was insulated as well. The over lip of the lid should've been enough but I'll try the extra sealing SD suggested to see if it makes any difference. Totally killed the radio though!

Probably to do with frequency wavelength. Mobile phones are microwave ( ultra short wavelength) so maybe able to penetrate chinks in the armour..... if this is so, SD's idea may cure it for you.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 September 2013, 15:05,
Wrapped wire wool around the whole rim and the mobile died a death! Big Grin

Lesson learnt, good advice folks, thanks!
4 September 2013, 21:10,
What I did with my dust bin lid to make sure I had a good seal, was to double fold some baking foil a few turns, then put it over the top edge of the bin, this makes the top of the container fatter,...so when the lid goes on it is much tighter,... plus the foil molds to the bin edge, allowing you to take of and put the lid back on without having to seal it again
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 September 2013, 02:10,
(4 September 2013, 15:05)Nix Wrote: Wrapped wire wool around the whole rim and the mobile died a death! Big Grin

Lesson learnt, good advice folks, thanks!

REALLY IMPORTANT FEEDBACK NIX.

THANKS FOR THIS.

DITTO HL.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580