Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's your stick fire coming along?
2 September 2013, 15:42,
How's your stick fire coming along?
You can probably tell I'm off work for a bit, because of my being online more than once in 5 days. Time off has me playing around with fire and the alike. I hope this thread will be busy with people swapping tips, talking about problems and how they over came them, and things like that.

How is your fire challenge project coming along?

Currently I'm going for a hand drill. Less effort to make, in my view.

So far I'm sourcing wood from the garden and will be trying more in the woods later today while walking the dogs.

Got 3 drill sections waiting for final prep...later tomorrow. Also have 2 chunks of wood to split for my fire boards.

What method are you doing for, and how's it coming along?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 September 2013, 16:00,
RE: How's your stick fire coming along?
Lol still at work mate. Gonna pop up the woods tonight to do some archery, so i'll scource some wood hopefully.
2 September 2013, 16:06,
(2 September 2013, 16:00)MCavity Wrote: Lol still at work mate. Gonna pop up the woods tonight to do some archery, so i'll scource some wood hopefully.

Cool. Are you going for a bow or hand drill, or a totally different way?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 September 2013, 04:34,
I have used the hand drill and bow bot were difficult and time consuming. I have also do the one where u cut a groove into soft wood and rub a hard wood stick back and forth that is also time consuming. The best I have found so far is shaving a tree and carrying the fibres in my pocket for the day so it dries out then flint. But I always using the shaving technique. Can get a fire going easier with it.
3 September 2013, 13:20,
(3 September 2013, 04:34)Mooski88 Wrote: I have used the hand drill and bow bot were difficult and time consuming. I have also do the one where u cut a groove into soft wood and rub a hard wood stick back and forth that is also time consuming. The best I have found so far is shaving a tree and carrying the fibres in my pocket for the day so it dries out then flint. But I always using the shaving technique. Can get a fire going easier with it.

Cool. My garden is f*****g full of flint, so I will give this one a go first. The bow drill looks to be really hard now ive looked into it.