Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jam storage
3 September 2013, 14:44, (This post was last modified: 3 September 2013, 14:45 by Bonnox.)
RE: Jam storage
The recipe is 1 kg of raspberries 1 kg of sugar unrefined cane sugar, and the juice of 1 lemon.
Put the fruit in a wide open topped pan and heat until they go mushy, then add the lemon juice heat a little longer then add the sugar and continue to heat should only take 5 minutes from adding the sugar, 10 minutes in total.

As to the jars, her advice was use old jars of any shape or size but buy new lids therefore keeping the price down, lids are only a few pence, the problem with spoiling and food going off is moisture and air, remove both of those and the food will last longer, the problem with most commercial jams is that they are made with water so don't last as long, acids will preserve food hence the lemon juice, same as in pickling, and getting fresh supplies post shtf will be a problem, however my plan is to have a lot made which will then last me a while.
28 December 2013, 21:40,
There's not really any reason not to stock up on sugar now, lasts indefinitely if stored properly, go to bookers and buy half hundred weight sacks for less than twenty quid, pick up a sack of very good basmati rice whilst your there, again less than twenty quid.
30 December 2013, 11:41, (This post was last modified: 30 December 2013, 11:42 by Danzord.)
I wouldnt bother buying jars or lids, use old ones and cut a circle out of greaseproof paper slightly larger than the circumference of the jar, push that on top of the jam then put the old lid on or if you have no lid cut a large circle of waterproof material and secure over the top of the jar with an elastic band. Dont know about lasting 15 years but its still good after 5 years. Also make sure the jars are sterile first, i use a baby steriliser but you can heat them in the oven to sterilise them.