Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I maintain contact with mobile person
4 September 2013, 17:21,
RE: How can I maintain contact with mobile person
Cell phone with GPS tracking will for for a start if its before the total societal meltdown?, you can track their gps chip, text em and phone em.
4 September 2013, 17:32,
Easy question... several answers. I doubt that you want to be "experimenting" to find what works best after the shoe has dropped. I'd recommend HF SSB on the 20 or 40 meter bands. Get your license, have the person you want to stay in contact with get his/hers, and use a mobile transceiver in the vehicle (Kenwood TS480SAT runs on 12 volt DC and doesn't need an antenna tuner). Your rig at home could be the same with a fixed vertical antenna. Three hundred miles on 20 or 40 meters is easy - in fact I'm talking to a ham in Missouri as I type this... he's 367 miles away.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
4 September 2013, 19:37,
(4 September 2013, 17:32)Jonas Wrote: Easy question... several answers. I doubt that you want to be "experimenting" to find what works best after the shoe has dropped. I'd recommend HF SSB on the 20 or 40 meter bands. Get your license, have the person you want to stay in contact with get his/hers, and use a mobile transceiver in the vehicle (Kenwood TS480SAT runs on 12 volt DC and doesn't need an antenna tuner). Your rig at home could be the same with a fixed vertical antenna. Three hundred miles on 20 or 40 meters is easy - in fact I'm talking to a ham in Missouri as I type this... he's 367 miles away.

Hi Jonas,

he wants to stay in contact with family from 300 miles out right to his back door.

20meters will not do this most of the time as the sub 300 mile radius is within the skip zone and normally thetre is insfficient density in the F1 or F2 layrs to support NVIS at taht frequency.

Truely his options are NVIS on 40m (7mhz) in daylight hours and 80m ( 3.5 Mhz) at night, This is pretty much identical to the way the military operate.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 September 2013, 00:24,
(4 September 2013, 17:21)NorthernRaider Wrote: Cell phone with GPS tracking will for for a start if its before the total societal meltdown?, you can track their gps chip, text em and phone em.
Obviously I would rather just phone them and ask how they're doing, this thread is about comms when the phones aren't working, I should have made that clear.
5 September 2013, 16:22,
(4 September 2013, 19:37)Lightspeed Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 17:32)Jonas Wrote: Easy question... several answers. I doubt that you want to be "experimenting" to find what works best after the shoe has dropped. I'd recommend HF SSB on the 20 or 40 meter bands. Get your license, have the person you want to stay in contact with get his/hers, and use a mobile transceiver in the vehicle (Kenwood TS480SAT runs on 12 volt DC and doesn't need an antenna tuner). Your rig at home could be the same with a fixed vertical antenna. Three hundred miles on 20 or 40 meters is easy - in fact I'm talking to a ham in Missouri as I type this... he's 367 miles away.

Hi Jonas,

he wants to stay in contact with family from 300 miles out right to his back door.

20meters will not do this most of the time as the sub 300 mile radius is within the skip zone and normally thetre is insfficient density in the F1 or F2 layrs to support NVIS at taht frequency.

Truely his options are NVIS on 40m (7mhz) in daylight hours and 80m ( 3.5 Mhz) at night, This is pretty much identical to the way the military operate.

You could have fooled me... just got off the air with a ham in Nacogdoches Texas, 35 miles away, on 7.290.00
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
6 September 2013, 03:29,
You could have fooled me... just got off the air with a ham in Nacogdoches Texas, 35 miles away, on 7.290.00
[/quote]

Think we are misunderstanding each other Jonals Big Grin

the 7.290 contact at 35 miles out is exactly the sort of contact I'm trying Steve to achieve. This is certainly NVIS, and I'm guessing it was a daylight contact for you. We are on the same page with this one.

To reiterate requirement is ZERO to 300mile range. so NVIS is the way to go.

Currently this requirement can be met in daylight and early evening ising less cumbersome 14Mhz frequencies, but this is exceptional due to our being at solar maximum. It will fade to zero in the next year or so, wheeras 7mhz and 3,5Mhz bands will remain operational the whole time.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580