Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New idea, under shed storage
3 September 2013, 21:05,
New idea, under shed storage
Just thought I'd share my latest idea, I'm currently making a shed in my back garden, I managed to get some 2ft square concrete slabs that I was going to lay as my base, but then I had a thought these are thick slabs approx 3 inch thick, so.... I started to dig, so currently I have dug three holes then used the slabs and made the 3 holes into concrete lined mini bunkers with a slab on top so you can't even tell their there, I then plan to build the shed on top with trap doors in the base so I can access the hidey holes, I reckon they should get quite cool in there, when its all done ill take the temp over a few days and let you know, but, do you guys think it would be good for storing food and if so how should I store the food in them ?
3 September 2013, 21:12,
RE: New idea, under shed storage
I'd line the hole with a damp proof sheet to stop water leaking through the concrete if I was you assuming you not done that yet
3 September 2013, 21:22,
Good idea, under my old shed I found 2 brick built cesspits filled in with rubble cleared one, one to do sometime, using it as a root cellar.
Failure is NOT an option
3 September 2013, 21:41,
My only worry would be moisture.
Its already been mentioned but i would use DPC liner/membrane on the bottom and up the sides. Make sure its all one piece of plastic.
3 September 2013, 22:01, (This post was last modified: 3 September 2013, 22:03 by Bonnox.)
Iv concreted the concrete slabs together as it were so it should be a sealed box, do you think I will still need a liner ? And would this not make things 'sweat' like cheese does in the fridge when its kept in plastic ?

(3 September 2013, 22:01)Bonnox Wrote: Iv concreted the concrete slabs together as it were so it should be a sealed box, do you think I will still need a liner ? And would this not make things 'sweat' like cheese does in the fridge when its kept in plastic ?

What about those large storage bins the blue plastic ones, I could put them in instead of a liner would that work ? I could have one for dried food one for chilled food one for canned food etc
3 September 2013, 22:09,
The more layers of protection you can add the better things will store.
I would vacuum pack any dried goods and then place them in boxes to protect against rodents.
Also think about placing some rodent bait blocks down there just in case.