Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 stroke gas mix
4 September 2013, 01:09,
2 stroke gas mix
I was working on an old outboard motor this afternoon and noticed a paper glued to the inside of the cowling.

Outboard motors ad 2 stroke engines in general, are something one will stumble over in many primitive regions of the world where the people live daily in what we would call SHTF conditions. The Johnson/Evinrude people have been building outboards for these conditions since before WW2.

Clearly stated by the mfg of the Johnson/Evenrude motor works was the instruction that if I did not have access to the fancy 2 stroke blend of oil to mix with my gasoline I could substitute one quart 30wt oil to 5 U.S. gallons of regular gasoline.

Just a bit of knowledge in case one is ever faced with a cold winter ahead and have chainsaw and petrol but none of the required 2-stroke oil. Apparently one can drain about anything from the crankcase of any abandoned vehicle and use it.
4 September 2013, 07:03,
RE: 2 stroke gas mix
I've done this with 10W40 back in the day.

It DOES work, but chokes up the exhaust with greasy carbon deposits after a few tanks.

obviously i'd do it if i had to, but once the power drops off, you really need to flush the exhaust out with some sort of solvent ("stale" petrol or diesel would be great for this!)
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....