Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do you check your stored kit?
4 September 2013, 10:44,
How often do you check your stored kit?
I have recently had two lessons in the importance of regularly checking your kit. Not just that it is there, but also that it works properly.
The first was when I needed a headtorch. I took the one from my EDC only to find the battery completely dead. It was put in new, only about 3 or 4 months before and I'm reasonably certain the torch had not switched on. I now carry the battery separately with the spares.
The second incident was two days later. Within moments of putting sausage and bacon in the oven there was a power cut. Not a problem I thought, I'll get the gas stove out that I always carry in the car. Wouldn't light. The jet was blocked. It had worked ok when checked as part of last winters preparations for the snow. It didn't take long to get a pricker out of the primus tin in the garage and get it working but if I'd been away from home it would have been a big problem. As it turned out, by the time I got the stove working the electric was back on.
I shall now be checking more regularly.
4 September 2013, 11:26,
RE: How often do you check your stored kit?
I test my kit most weekends when I'm out in the woods or in the garden.

No good collecting dust is it?
4 September 2013, 11:32,
I check it fairly often as I am always adding to it or altering it in some way.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 11:44,
Depends what you mean by check. If it is just a cursoury look then I do that every few months or after something happens. A more detailed check I only do on my medical stuff and electronics to make sure it isn't wet or rusting which I usually do early in the year about March. The lists are separate and I look at them every three months or if I feel like looking after something makes me think. Some things I will never check after they are put away. I will ensure there are spares or that they are spread out over several areas.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 11:48, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 11:50 by Lightspeed.)
LED Torches: Insert the battery cluster back to front. If the on off button is pressed by accident the diodes block current flow and the batteries stay charged. Just have to remember to re-insert the battery cluster the right way around before use

Walkie talkies: Ha ha You knew I was going to reply about radios didn't you! Well they run down their batteries even when turned off. Solution: Fully re-charge and store either with battery removed or with battery in place with +ve terminal sellotaped over to prevent contact. Just have to remember to insert battery or remove sellotabe before use.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 September 2013, 12:04, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 12:05 by Dorset Lad.)
LS I did the reverse battery trick with my 3D Maglite with LED conversion. Pressed the button and it still worked!!! I then cut a plastic disc to put between the end battery and the cap spring. Means having to unscrew the cap to remove the disc but at least I know the torch is not going to switch on accidently.

With the gas stove I never suspected the jet would become blocked while packed in its tin in a rucksack.
4 September 2013, 12:26,
(4 September 2013, 12:04)Dorset Lad Wrote: LS I did the reverse battery trick with my 3D Maglite with LED conversion. Pressed the button and it still worked!!! I then cut a plastic disc to put between the end battery and the cap spring. Means having to unscrew the cap to remove the disc but at least I know the torch is not going to switch on accidently.

With the gas stove I never suspected the jet would become blocked while packed in its tin in a rucksack.

Well done DL, looks like you have that one sorted now.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 September 2013, 13:38,
I hope it is thin plastic. Thick plastic may bend the terminal and when the plastic is removed the battery pack doesn't make contact. Some principle in keeping guns loaded, crossbows strung etc.

Best removing everything except for those you want to lay your hands on quick and you check them regularly.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 13:51, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 13:52 by Prepper1.)
My stuffs all over the show, bulging out of every damn cupboard...

I keep check just to see nobodys fiddled with it recently ( I have two Teenage lads) you know what their like for messing with stuff that doesnt concern them....Angry

Usually to find they've had a look and put it back where it doesn't live, to be followed by loads of shouting and "put the F88king thing back where it belongs"AngryAngryAngry
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
4 September 2013, 13:55,
I always keep my batteries outside the device they are intened for cept my EDC flashlight, i believe anything with a circuit can slowly drain off a battery, not to mention leaks, I also only buy batts with expiracing dates on em like Duracell Ultras and energiser lithiums, had no success with rechargables. I tend to go through the kits around the 31 st March and 31 st Oct each year, or if something big kicks off.