Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do you check your stored kit?
4 September 2013, 14:57,
RE: How often do you check your stored kit?
I try to remove batteries from things I'm not using often. I have had trouble in the past with even Duracel batteries leaking. Surprisingly in two different energiser head torches. The three LED sort.
The plastic disc I cut for the Maglite was of thin clear plastic from a "bubble pack" of some sort. The D cell Maglites have a very chunky spring in the cap, so no trouble with the extra thickness.
On the subject of Maglite LED conversions, I have a IR filter to put over mine to use with a night scope. When I converted to LED to save on battery power I found there was no IR output. I have to change back to a bulb to be able to look around in the dark without being seen.
4 September 2013, 15:10,
(4 September 2013, 10:44)Dorset Lad Wrote: I have recently had two lessons in the importance of regularly checking your kit. Not just that it is there, but also that it works properly.
The first was when I needed a headtorch. I took the one from my EDC only to find the battery completely dead. It was put in new, only about 3 or 4 months before and I'm reasonably certain the torch had not switched on. I now carry the battery separately with the spares.
The second incident was two days later. Within moments of putting sausage and bacon in the oven there was a power cut. Not a problem I thought, I'll get the gas stove out that I always carry in the car. Wouldn't light. The jet was blocked. It had worked ok when checked as part of last winters preparations for the snow. It didn't take long to get a pricker out of the primus tin in the garage and get it working but if I'd been away from home it would have been a big problem. As it turned out, by the time I got the stove working the electric was back on.
I shall now be checking more regularly.

A few times a year, not as often as I should. First Aid kit was checked two weeks ago, but after using a lot of it on a minor injury I collected at home a few days ago I im extending it to more that double what I currently have.
4 September 2013, 15:38,
I've an LED Lenser torch, the battery has been in it for 6 months and still works fine, i know that the battery is physically disconnected when switched off (basic circuit, twist cap to close circuit)

the rest of my kit, i don't check as often as i should, but i cadjust it by season at the moment, i've still all my summer kit just now due to the weather, once temps drop below 10c daytime i'll start putting cold weather specific items back in
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 September 2013, 17:57,
(4 September 2013, 14:57)Dorset Lad Wrote: I have a IR filter to put over mine to use with a night scope. When I converted to LED to save on battery power I found there was no IR output. I have to change back to a bulb to be able to look around in the dark without being seen.

Different wavelength?
4 September 2013, 21:21,
guily! Not checked mine. For 12 months , will sort that out this weekend, my problem , as I suspect many.......there is so many things to get done, and little time and money to get it all done ,lts like running in a race and loosing a shoe after the first 15 yards you still try for the tape at the finishing line. Good post!
4 September 2013, 21:27,
(4 September 2013, 17:57)BeardyMan Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 14:57)Dorset Lad Wrote: I have a IR filter to put over mine to use with a night scope. When I converted to LED to save on battery power I found there was no IR output. I have to change back to a bulb to be able to look around in the dark without being seen.

Different wavelength?

Red lense is not infra red. Infra red LED's can be retro-fitted on to torches for the night vision scope capability.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
4 September 2013, 22:29, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 23:10 by Leigh.)
Brick  RE: How often do you check your stored kit?
Bob's checked every two weeks.
Bug-in supplies, over the course of two weeks are fully checked and rotated. Any close dates on food result in a few days of "prepper" meals to practice.
food and water caches buried locally are covertly checked for disturbance on dog walking of an evening. I have lists (no gps due to emp risk) and locations safe. I've actually had one water cache paved over in the local woods!
Weapons are checked, cleaned sharpened and where applicable, fired monthly.
All in my google calandar, callandar on the fridge and in the family diary.
Sad I know but better than watching tv...
Anyway 6 month past date can,of beans is better than going hungy.

I think part of prepping is to check, check and check again.

Thanks Binnie
Would you be able to share with us what you are changing out of your bob and why?
This would be great for all of us as not many people would adapt thier bob or bil according to the season?

Perhaps we can then share a seasonal bob or bil or even bov list.Huh

Thanks Binnie
Would you be able to share with us what you are changing out of your bob and why?
This would be great for all of us as not many people would adapt thier bob or bil according to the season?

Thanks Binnie

5 September 2013, 08:19,
It's really basic things, i figure worst case scenario 3 months is going to be the likely disruption by events we are likely to suffer here.

summer/autumn i carry thinner gloves and socks and less tinder extra water bottle.

winter/spring i carry thicker gloves and more socks balaclava, plenty tinder and fuel, minus extra water bottle, more food and rations.

This way i can carry more of what is relevant. if 3 months was an underestimate, i plan on scavenging or making extra gear.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
5 September 2013, 09:59,
BeardyMan Wrote:

(Yesterday 13:57)Dorset Lad Wrote: I have a IR filter to put over mine to use with a night scope. When I converted to LED to save on battery power I found there was no IR output. I have to change back to a bulb to be able to look around in the dark without being seen.

Different wavelength?

Red lense is not infra red. Infra red LED's can be retro-fitted on to torches for the night vision scope capability.

Hi TL. It is a propper (military) IR filter I am using. With normal vision in the dark (and a bulb in the torch) There is nothing visible. Switch on the night scope and it is just like shining an ordenary torch around without night vision.
I didn't give it a thought when I first fitted the LED, just had a surprise when I tried it with the filter. First thought that torch not working. Then sussed it out.
On the subject of night vision, my daughter bought a toy scope from Toymaster for £40 that is really good. It has an IR chip type camera and an LCD screen in a hood and IR LEDs for added illumination.
7 September 2013, 12:07,
I check batteries and lights, every weekend or so, to see if they leak or don't work. Food, water and medical stuff are about the same if not more regularly.

Now clothing, every month or so, to see if it's still appropriate for the weather.
Positively Pessimistic