Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Saw
4 September 2013, 15:30,
RE: Chain Saw
(4 September 2013, 15:26)bigpaul Wrote: I don't want to put someone off buying one, but only do it if you REALLY know what your doing, otherwise use a hand saw.

You'd never learn owt if you only stick to what you know!

I certainly wouldn't want to do what I've seen some tree surgeons (dunno why they're called surgeons - they just rip the poor tree to pieces!) do which is climb the tree, then start lopping limbs off! Now that's asking for trouble!!
4 September 2013, 16:15,
I've had a few chainsaws, a powerful saw is safer than a cheap weedy one, less likely to slow down, get stuck or kick back. Currently I use a Husqvarna 346xp, which is light and handy, and a Stihl 029 which is a bit heavier and torquier. Both are good, but the Husky is best.
4 September 2013, 16:45, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 16:51 by Straight Shooter.)
I have a stili , huskies are best, get yourself steel toecapped boots helmet,ear protectors,viser ,cloves and kavalar trousers and jacket, lf your going to do lt do it right . All chain saws come with anti kickback lever but with still do big damage , you will spend around 900 quid to klt yourself out, TBH post shtf Bow saw with lots of spare blades, not as loud as a chain saw

PS got lots of bow saws and blades.

Get somone who uses them for a living to teach you how to use them, used wrong they will kill you.
4 September 2013, 16:58,
(4 September 2013, 16:45)Straight Shooter Wrote: I have a stili , huskies are best, get yourself steel toecapped boots helmet,ear protectors,viser ,cloves and kavalar trousers and jacket, lf your going to do lt do it right .

Bit overkill for a bit of light felling in the garden isn't it??

£900?? Sod that for a game of soldiers.
4 September 2013, 17:17,
Tis a lot of money BM ,if you buy all brand new , light bit of tree felling or not post shtf even more important to work safe why take a chance on your well being , plus the fact I would rather give the best advice. Even if I do not follow it myself to the letter, seen to many people get hurt with these buggers .
4 September 2013, 17:35,
(4 September 2013, 17:17)Straight Shooter Wrote: Tis a lot of money BM ,if you buy all brand new , light bit of tree felling or not post shtf even more important to work safe why take a chance on your well being , plus the fact I would rather give the best advice. Even if I do not follow it myself to the letter, seen to many people get hurt with these buggers .

Good point SS, good point.
4 September 2013, 21:40,
Thank you one and all for the debate

I did try a saw on a small branch and I got tired!

Please assume that I am committed to buying one - budget around £150 maximum

Right - now back to my OP

What one should I buy??

A husky, A shtil, or something else and why?

Must be petrol/2 stroke
4 September 2013, 21:57,
The guys are right RS, wear the correct gear for the job.....bloodied leather apron and a face mask made of sewn together human face and scalp Tongue I always fancied a one but the safety aspect scared the shit outta me !Smile
4 September 2013, 22:17,
150 Quid budget , and you get tired. Cutting one branch! My advice take a trip to a supplier of second hand saws'huskies are the best and lighter than shtils both are very reliable, try any make you like, you need somthing light I suspect....try them out ,get spare chaines, files to sharpen yourself, two stroke oil, spare bar, spare spark plugs, if you go for the sthil get the tronic start type a kid could start it without pulling your cuts out. Good luck RS hope this helps.