Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Saw
4 September 2013, 14:35,
RE: Chain Saw
(4 September 2013, 14:27)BeardyMan Wrote: Maybe us Fen boys are a bit gung-ho when it comes to powertools, but I've never ever even thought of safety clothing - just don't touch the saw bit, keep control of the thing and you'll be fine.

You're much more likely to injure yourself with an axe.

I've been there, done that BM, no safety gear and I nearly lost my left leg cos of it....damn tree came down on top of me before I had chance to get out the way, pinned me down with left knee on the RUNNING chain-took me a few seconds to hit the off button, made a mess of my knee but thankfully didn't hit the bone, flesh only.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 14:49,
(4 September 2013, 14:35)bigpaul Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 14:27)BeardyMan Wrote: Maybe us Fen boys are a bit gung-ho when it comes to powertools, but I've never ever even thought of safety clothing - just don't touch the saw bit, keep control of the thing and you'll be fine.

I've been there, done that BM, no safety gear and I nearly lost my left leg cos of it....damn tree came down on top of me before I had chance to get out the way, pinned me down with left knee on the RUNNING chain-took me a few seconds to hit the off button, made a mess of my knee but thankfully didn't hit the bone, flesh only.

This would imply that the man using the chainsaw is the dangerous one! Big Grin

gotta make sure you know where the tree is going to fall, make sure you don't get the blade pinched in the trunk. I got to play with all sorts when I was a kid, parents would happily let me use the chainsaws / strimmers etc as they knew I'd be careful with them
4 September 2013, 14:55,
(4 September 2013, 14:49)BeardyMan Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 14:35)bigpaul Wrote:

This would imply that the man using the chainsaw is the dangerous one! Big Grin

gotta make sure you know where the tree is going to fall, make sure you don't get the blade pinched in the trunk. I got to play with all sorts when I was a kid, parents would happily let me use the chainsaws / strimmers etc as they knew I'd be careful with them

this is why I hate chain saws and wont have one, I prefer to use the old fashioned methods, takes longer but its safer. I did hear of a guy using a chain saw, the thing kicked back over his head and chopped his skull in half.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 14:58,
They're great fun though. I admit, I'm not too keen on taking a standing tree down, much better to use a chainsaw to prepare a downed one though.
4 September 2013, 15:08,
(4 September 2013, 14:58)BeardyMan Wrote: better to use a chainsaw to prepare a downed one though.

if its already down why do you need a chain saw? wife's father always used a 2 man saw and he worked on a rural estate.
4 September 2013, 15:12,
(4 September 2013, 15:08)bigpaul Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 14:58)BeardyMan Wrote: better to use a chainsaw to prepare a downed one though.

if its already down why do you need a chain saw? wife's father always used a 2 man saw and he worked on a rural estate.

Speed, laziness, you look cool with a chainsaw, more fun.

We processed a row of conifers that stretched across the acre field on one side of my parents garden. Must have been about 30 trees. Chop 'em down, drag them into the garden then chop 'em up. Took 1 day. We had 2 chainsaws, and my dads ML500 to pull the trees into the garden Big Grin

With a normal hand saw that whole process would have taken weeks.
4 September 2013, 15:15, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 15:16 by bigpaul.)
that's ok as long as the fuel is available, post shtf that might not be so, that's why I am storing up hand tools for the duration, I am going the Amish route!!Big Grin

it might take longer but time wont mean much then.
4 September 2013, 15:19,
(4 September 2013, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote: I am going the Amish route!!Big Grin

The whole community gets stuck in. I would imagine a couple of those Amish lads with saws would outpace most people with a chainsaw Big Grin

Manual back up always required.

I wonder if you got an old chainsaw if you could run it on ethanol/methanol without too many changes? I need a still, so I can power my stihl Wink
4 September 2013, 15:23,
I hate chain saws, but I do understand that they are needed from time to time,.. so a few years ago I purchased an electric one.

Its only for log cutting, and I have used it for years, as long as you remember not to cut with the end part of the saw, always cut with the part of the chain that is nearest to you, and let the saw do the work...then you are safe from kickback,.. and cut to one side of you

I always get someone who knows what they are doing to sharpen the blade and to make sure that the tension is right,... I wouldn't trust myself to do it right
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 September 2013, 15:26, (This post was last modified: 4 September 2013, 15:27 by bigpaul.)
(4 September 2013, 15:23)Highlander Wrote: I hate chain saws, but I do understand that they are needed from time to time,.. so a few years ago I purchased an electric one.

Its only for log cutting, and I have used it for years, as long as you remember not to cut with the end part of the saw, always cut with the part of the chain that is nearest to you, and let the saw do the work...then you are safe from kickback,.. and cut to one side of you

I always get someone who knows what they are doing to sharpen the blade and to make sure that the tension is right,... I wouldn't trust myself to do it right

I don't know enough about them to do that much, that's why I don't have anything to do with them, my accident put me off them for life.

I don't want to put someone off buying one, but only do it if you REALLY know what your doing, otherwise use a hand saw.