Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long
4 September 2013, 16:37,
RE: how long
I think you have to balance safety and security with the need for intel, my area was initially a village thats grown outward with a council estate and a couple of private estates maybe 5000 sheeple , not a bad area , no real social deprivation to speak off but i'd still want to know whats going on around me...forewarned is forrearmed...got waste to dispose of too.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 September 2013, 16:54,
my area is cut in two by the road and the river, 500 people approx. IN the town, about the same on my housing estate, no real poverty, lots on benefit but no real problems, very quiet area, only 2 ways onto my estate, one is easily dealt with-just remove the cattle grid!surrounded by fields and farms, lots of sheep(the 4 legged kind) and a few cattle. I think a lot of people will leave the area post shtf and go to relatives-well they'll attempt to anyway, probably just leave the oldies and the disabled. there's a small industrial estate on the main road, a retirement complex up the road and a few shops in town(small co-op, newsagents, bakery due to close next month, butchers already gone, a deli, post office, a couple of repair shops and a small filling station, and the slaughter house), that's it, just a dot on the road map really.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 16:58,
(4 September 2013, 16:54)bigpaul Wrote: my area is cut in two by the road and the river, 500 people approx. IN the town, about the same on my housing estate, no real poverty, lots on benefit but no real problems, very quiet area, only 2 ways onto my estate, one is easily dealt with-just remove the cattle grid!surrounded by fields and farms, lots of sheep(the 4 legged kind) and a few cattle. I think a lot of people will leave the area post shtf and go to relatives-well they'll attempt to anyway, probably just leave the oldies and the disabled. there's a small industrial estate on the main road, a retirement complex up the road and a few shops in town(small co-op, newsagents, bakery due to close next month, butchers already gone, a deli, post office, a couple of repair shops and a small filling station, and the slaughter house), that's it, just a dot on the road map really.

Want to swap?Smile
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 September 2013, 17:11,
(4 September 2013, 16:58)Midnitemo Wrote:
(4 September 2013, 16:54)bigpaul Wrote: my area is cut in two by the road and the river, 500 people approx. IN the town, about the same on my housing estate, no real poverty, lots on benefit but no real problems, very quiet area, only 2 ways onto my estate, one is easily dealt with-just remove the cattle grid!surrounded by fields and farms, lots of sheep(the 4 legged kind) and a few cattle. I think a lot of people will leave the area post shtf and go to relatives-well they'll attempt to anyway, probably just leave the oldies and the disabled. there's a small industrial estate on the main road, a retirement complex up the road and a few shops in town(small co-op, newsagents, bakery due to close next month, butchers already gone, a deli, post office, a couple of repair shops and a small filling station, and the slaughter house), that's it, just a dot on the road map really.

Want to swap?Smile

what swap 1,300 for 5,000?....no way, jose!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 17:21,
(4 September 2013, 16:37)Midnitemo Wrote: I think you have to balance safety and security with the need for intel, my area was initially a village thats grown outward with a council estate and a couple of private estates maybe 5000 sheeple , not a bad area , no real social deprivation to speak off but i'd still want to know whats going on around me...forewarned is forrearmed...got waste to dispose of too.

Get to know your neighbors. Can you put together a neighborhood picnic/barbecue where folks bring a dish to pass? Name tags for all, games for the kids, horseshoe pitching for the men, etc.? You could sort out who is who, and who you'd want to meet a week later at the local pub to discuss "things of mutual interest". Sort out talents in the community - medic, herbalist, ham operator, etc. Yes this will take some work, but IMHO would be worth it...
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
4 September 2013, 17:34,
I agree, you'd be limited by your supplies.
You then have the problem to fortify or not to fortify your home.
The problem is that over-doing it will make your B.I.L stand out like bulldogs...
The temptation to venture out will be high and agreed, nightime recces are the way to go.
Take the rubbish with you though and scavinge what you can.
I'll be doing everything I can not to stand out from nextdoor...
... but will be ready if we do!
4 September 2013, 17:39,
(4 September 2013, 17:34)Leigh Wrote: I agree, you'd be limited by your supplies.
You then have the problem to fortify or not to fortify your home.
The problem is that over-doing it will make your B.I.L stand out like bulldogs...
The temptation to venture out will be high and agreed, nightime recces are the way to go.
Take the rubbish with you though and scavinge what you can.
I'll be doing everything I can not to stand out from nextdoor...
... but will be ready if we do!
the trick is to put back enough supplies to outlast everyone else who hasn't, by the time the dust settles everyone else is either dead or they've buggered orf!Big Grin
4 September 2013, 19:16,
Well I will be out regular if it ever became necessary,....with hills right next to me I can get to high ground in 10 minutes and sit and watch a good wide area, without being seen and not losing sight of my house,,..I will want to know whats happening in my own area.... I could certainly do it at night with little risk, and I could do it during the day with care
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 September 2013, 19:28,

I live in a village in East Anglia cut in two by a major A road.
Population 750
Mixed housing - majority owner occupied - around 15% council.
Village was inhabited mostly by Farm Labourers (tough old breed)
but now it's a bit of a dormitory because nearby is a small place that has
property that reaches London prices.

Council tenants can be a bit of a pain in the a..e but generally OK.

We have a clutch of under 30's on benefits that are proving to be a pain
to the village but I suspect that they will be sorted.

The biggest problem is that 5 miles away is a large town absolutely filled with low-life
and my fear is that they will come marching down the road. I suspect however that they wouldnt have the energy.

Personally I dont live on the 'A' road but on am adjacent 'B' road with neighbours etc. I live in a 4 nedroomed detached owned by my employer but backing onto fields (agricultural and footpath) stretching around 6 acres.

I'm looking at that for burial - both of rubbish, excrement, and zombies.

I reckon I don't need to go out of the front door for 2 months with present supplies - maybe 3 at a pinch.

Back door and fields at night.

Allons-y
5 September 2013, 11:46,
(4 September 2013, 19:28)River Song Wrote: I live in a village in East Anglia cut in two by a major A road.
Population 750
Mixed housing - majority owner occupied - around 15% council.
Village was inhabited mostly by Farm Labourers (tough old breed)
but now it's a bit of a dormitory because nearby is a small place that has
property that reaches London prices.

Council tenants can be a bit of a pain in the a..e but generally OK.

We have a clutch of under 30's on benefits that are proving to be a pain
to the village but I suspect that they will be sorted.

The biggest problem is that 5 miles away is a large town absolutely filled with low-life
and my fear is that they will come marching down the road. I suspect however that they wouldnt have the energy.

Personally I dont live on the 'A' road but on am adjacent 'B' road with neighbours etc. I live in a 4 nedroomed detached owned by my employer but backing onto fields (agricultural and footpath) stretching around 6 acres.

I'm looking at that for burial - both of rubbish, excrement, and zombies.

I reckon I don't need to go out of the front door for 2 months with present supplies - maybe 3 at a pinch.

Back door and fields at night.

Allons-y

whats the population of the nearby town RS? 5 miles is a BIT close!