Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to see an enemy if they breach your area.
10 September 2013, 18:30,
RE: How to see an enemy if they breach your area.
A starlight scope does indeed amplify very low levels of ambient light.
They would be great and I wouldn't turn one away if you gave me one but be aware
Right now on cloudy nights they amplify the ambient light of streetlights that is reflected back from clouds.
After SHTF cloudy nights will be very dark and I suspect they may not work when there is heavy cloud cover (on cloudless nights they will work with starlight)
They are also an active device needing batteries.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
10 September 2013, 18:36,
Yes, I remember the problems of street lights, because they amplified the light, it was difficult to track movement under that light,.. it was very often where gunman shot from...... but I dont recall any problems with cloud cover,

I had forgotten about the batteries, but if you had the solar charger that most preppers have, then at least they take a normal battery
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 September 2013, 18:42,
(10 September 2013, 18:36)Highlander Wrote: I dont recall any problems with cloud cover
There is no problem with cloud cover now because street lights reflect up to the clouds and down again giving some ambient light for the starlight to amplify.
But after Grid Down there will be no lights at night and cloud cover will mean there is insufficient light for the starlight to work (probably).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
10 September 2013, 19:25,
Starlight scopes work under very low light situations. I doubt that they would not work if you are outside under any circumstances. Just go out into anywhere and see the stars at night. More than enough light.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2013, 20:07,
I used to import loads of night vision gear into the UK.
Regarding Ir lights you have to groups,
The 800Nm waves length and the 900Nm and above
The 800Nm to 890Nm is visible to the naked eye as a faint red glow if you look directly at the light source.
900Nm and above is not visible to the human eye.

You can find Ir LED's in your TV remote if you want to build an Ir alarm system.
High powered Ir lasers can be found inside DVD players.

For people that think Night vision gear is beyond there price bracket id can say with fairly cheap components you can build very usable night vision gear if you know what to buy.

Iv just ordered some parts over the last few days to build NV goggles and a NV rifle scope.

It might take a couple of weeks to get all the parts delivered but when i do i will try and do some step by step instructions.
11 September 2013, 08:50,
when the power goes off and we have no "light" pollution you'll be surprised just how light it is at night and it wont take you long to get your night vision.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 September 2013, 13:55,
(8 September 2013, 17:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: I would guess it would be very difficult to set one up to go over someone but it certainly sounds like it is worth a try.

The below is all entirely fictional and made up. No one would be retarded enough to actually do this, but.....

You could combine the glow sticks with some flash-powder.

You'd have to remove the outer casing and repackage the liquid and glass vials, but then it's be really loud, pretty painful, and the poor sod's would be glowing in the dark too. (Add other items like nails / ball bearings etc if you fancy it)

Simple way to set it all up would be trip wire, battery and a broken bulb.

Stick 'em up in a tree, or in a hollow in the ground, or both if you really want to fuck someone up.

Not much use now, but PSHTF these will be scattered around my immediate area. If I was a crazy bastard - which I'm not.
11 September 2013, 14:37,
Booby trapping an area is fraught with dangers , many people fall victim to there own devices both whilst setting and forgetting about them, add children into the mix and it gets really precarious , i would still be up for it post shtf but only a few , as static guards on likely approaches after dark when your camp/location is locked down and none of your group are likely to fall prey to them , clearing patrol in the morning by the person who set them before anyone leaves the camp.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
11 September 2013, 14:43,
Crossing the road is dangerous.

If you're not confident you can do it without hurting yourself then ask an adult for help.

Common sense is required for many things, this is no different.
11 September 2013, 14:46,
the ideas is NOT to forget where you put them in the first place. sprogs wont be allowed to go charging out the door in the mornings on their own, for many reasons not just your booby traps.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.