Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underestimate at your own risk.
10 September 2013, 18:14,
RE: Underestimate at your own risk.
I said in a thread the other day that we may well be very surprised at how many people will survive most events, there will be a lot of people out there, the big die off is very unlikely to to happen in my opinion.

We also talk about how bad it will get in the cities,.. ok, I agree it will, but what a lot of us forget is the hundreds of people who will try hard to get out of the cities and head for our `safe` country retreats,... its not good policy to say that our cosy retreat way down in the country is safe,..it may not be

As for fitness,.... I dont know much about who is fitter than who, but I do know that when we were in the Falklands war, the first men to drop were the fitness instructors, the reason that was given was because they simply had no fat, they had no reserves,...so when the tough do get going, maybe the so called super fit people might not do as well as they think they will
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 September 2013, 18:23,
(10 September 2013, 18:14)Highlander Wrote: I said in a thread the other day that we may well be very surprised at how many people will survive most events, there will be a lot of people out there, the big die off is very unlikely to to happen in my opinion.

We also talk about how bad it will get in the cities,.. ok, I agree it will, but what a lot of us forget is the hundreds of people who will try hard to get out of the cities and head for our `safe` country retreats,... its not good policy to say that our cosy retreat way down in the country is safe,..it may not be

As for fitness,.... I dont know much about who is fitter than who, but I do know that when we were in the Falklands war, the first men to drop were the fitness instructors, the reason that was given was because they simply had no fat, they had no reserves,...so when the tough do get going, maybe the so called super fit people might not do as well as they think they will

I think we have talked about this before...UNLESS these people have somewhere to go they are just REFUGEES and probably wont last the first cold winter(especially the more north they go), if there is a large die off there MAY be empty properties for them to use, otherwise they are in for a long COLD WET time of it. as for fitness we are not talking athlete fit but more fit to do the work that we may need to do, a bit of fat will help in the cold weather....just ask my ex wife!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 September 2013, 18:26,
(10 September 2013, 18:23)bigpaul Wrote: a bit of fat will help in the cold weather....just ask my ex wife!!Big GrinBig Grin

Big Grin... and you think she hasn't read that,.. you hope not...Big Grin
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 September 2013, 18:29,
(10 September 2013, 18:26)Highlander Wrote:
(10 September 2013, 18:23)bigpaul Wrote: a bit of fat will help in the cold weather....just ask my ex wife!!Big GrinBig Grin

Big Grin... and you think she hasn't read that,.. you hope not...Big Grin

she's not a prepper, I think she's on facebookBig Grin (she made a remark on facebook about "I wish vampires sucked fat instead of blood")Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 September 2013, 18:48,
(10 September 2013, 13:08)Skean Dhude Wrote: Gizmo,

I'm not sure I agree with you. Maybe those that trive in the drug business but business owners tend to rely on their power and money to bully their way though. When they vanish all in one go they may have little to use as leverage. The older ones may have to remember their early roots but those guys are long gone. destroyed by legislation and family money.

However, I agree don't write them off. Many of those are prepping now. Farm houses, estates, yachts, bunkers. Many will do OK.

SD

I was more thinking of the character traits that got them to the top rather than what they did when they got to the top. I know some get there by the old boys network and others by kissing arse but quite a few get there by being the type of person who wont let things get in the way of what they want to achieve. At the moment they target money, prestige, nice cars etc, after an event they will have different targets.

(10 September 2013, 17:02)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 September 2013, 12:39)Gizmo Wrote: Another example would be the type of person who has been successful in business. In a lot of cases they got where they are by using their inteligence and by being ruthless enough to climb over other people to get to their position.

oh come on, I have worked in a business environment for most of my working life, most of these people got where they are by being ruthless, by who they know rather than what they know, that's fine-to succeed in business by force of personality, by being a right barsteward(I've known a few like that) but to survive a TEOTWAWKI event? no way, these people exist on eating out, Business meals, and microwave meals when they are at home and sunday lunch at the golf club, their drinks cabinet will be full, might even have a wine cellar but enough food put by to survive the holocaust?? no. no.no. they wont have enough of the right clothing and footwear(polished hand made broughes don't you know old boy?) to last the first cold winter, and when the power goes off? they'll freeze cos they've got no alternative heating....they wont have camping stoves or portable gas heaters or even any water containers...Angry

You may well be right, I personally dont think you are but thats neither here nor there. As I said in my reply to SD above I tend to believe that the character traits that got some of these people to the top will help a certain percentage of them be successful in whatever they do, whether that is survival or tiddly winks. Likewise I also think that some people, no matter how well prepped they are, will find it very difficult.
10 September 2013, 19:18,
(10 September 2013, 18:23)bigpaul Wrote: ..... as for fitness we are not talking athlete fit but more fit to do the work that we may need to do, a bit of fat will help in the cold weather....just ask my ex wife!!Big GrinBig Grin

Don't think I'll be asking her BP!

But you have exactly explained what I mean by survival fitness. If someone is not used to hard work, the effort needed to keep things going surviving an event will be a shock.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 September 2013, 19:22,
Back in the 80s i would have agreed with you. Now they are all laywers or accountants and got where they are by the old boys network. Thats what I meant when i said the old type boys who brought themselves up from nothing are now getting on a bit. Nobody is doing that now really.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2013, 23:37,
We're pigeon holing again.

The point is, this concept of SHEEPLE is not only miles from the truth, but it's also a dangerous perception to believe in 100%.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 September 2013, 08:47,
in general, most of your modern sheeple will run around panicking, "why aren't the govt coming to help us" kind of thing, there may be a few exceptions but in general they wont KNOW what to do because they have been brought up to rely on TPTB from cradle to grave.
11 September 2013, 10:58,
(10 September 2013, 23:37)Scythe13 Wrote: We're pigeon holing again.

The point is, this concept of SHEEPLE is not only miles from the truth, but it's also a dangerous perception to believe in 100%.

Yep, I couldn't agree more Scythe. Just the term Sheeple is a problem. Although humerous, it carries an implied message that these non-preppers are headless idiots who will simply roll over and die ( literally). This is a dangerous misconception. The human will to survive is strong. Its inate, and not something related to a person's socio-economic position, their intelligence, not their physique.

Belittleing non preppers as Sheeple, severely blind-sides the belittler.

.....if you know what I mean???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580