Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underestimate at your own risk.
10 September 2013, 09:58, (This post was last modified: 10 September 2013, 10:45 by Skean Dhude.)
Underestimate at your own risk.
If you hate the idea of sheeple, then you'll agree with this. If you love the idea of it, then this is directed at you. It might become a rant, but it's packed with truth, all the way through. Enjoy.

I hear a lot of stuff about sheeple, the die off, and people not leaving cities. That's a lovely thought. People being total idiots, all weak and unfit, and scared to go outside, or let their kids outside.

Did you hear that? It sounded like a broken view of reality!

The reality is very different. Why are people so varied and different? Because they are not all the same. They are not all sheep. Yes you have those that follow the flock, but they are still able to think. Call me crazy, but there are even some who are not flock followers. Think about goths, moshers, skaters, gym-junkies, real junkies, townies, chavs, scallies, toffs, hippies, crusties, squaddies, poor, rich, middle-class, accountants, lorry drivers, warehouse workers, martial artists, runners, athletes, gamers, programmers, leaders, innovators, and so much more!!! Oh wait, that kind of makes the idea of a flock very difficult to follow.

What is one of the greatest fears around? A well organised group of physically active and capable people, intelligent, determined, and motivated.....probably a good place to start. Go to any bodybuilding gym...or Cross-Fit group, or martial arts centre, or boxing club, or even skate park. Those people are not idiots by any means. I would put that the bodybuilders know more than 90% of the population in regard to pharmaceuticals. Fighters are going to be close behind same as boxers. Athletes will be up there too. Suddenly you're caught in a sticky situation hu? These people train together, work together, and basically live as family. They lead very active lives and are not afraid to get down and dirty.

What about your extreme sports people, BMX, rock climbing, parkour, skateboarders, roller bladers, and the alike? The one's I know wouldn't think twice about f**king you right up. The climbers are going to be the most mellow, but the ones I used to hang out with....haha, they loved themselves a good fighting chum haha.

What about those rugby boys from uni? You going to break them apart? They loved to fight at uni.

The whole idea that there are sheeple, following the flock, all the same, and none are going to survive, is a total fallacy. There may well be a die off, and it may be a 90% die off. But let's be serious, thinking that some jock with a bad attitude and a bunch of mates, is not a threat is ignoring one of Darwin's criteria for species survival "Most intelligent". There's an awesome saying "If you think you can turn your weakness into a strength, I hate to tell you, but that's a weakness too." the same applies with this sheeple notion, If you think the sheeple are weak, I hate to tell you, but that's a weakness too.

I know 'sheeple' that will destroy a person, take their stuff, and not think twice about it. I know some of McCavity's old boxing mates are an example of that, as are friends from the gym, or from cross-fit. Ex cons will be there, free, ready to rip you up and take what they need.

(Edited out the calling people idiots bit : SD)

Other people are a threat, and those that survive will not just be the preppers. It'll be the ones who attacked and killed the old couple with the full pantry, then ate the old people. Those are the kinds of people you'll also be dealing with.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 September 2013, 10:24,
RE: Underestimate at your own risk.
I know plenty of groups of people that would gell on mass if things go tits up. In the SE loads of different religious groups would come together instantly, and make anyone non 'whatever' a terget imo.
10 September 2013, 10:45,
Excellent post Scythe.

We have been getting into self-delusional group-think concerning Sheeple. ( I don't like that term but its convenient, maybe Non-Preppers or NPs would be more appropriate?)

You are right. Many of us have pigeon holed "Sheeple" and a threat that will self distruct with little affect on us if we keep our heads down. This is a big uder estimation, and one that could perhaps prove fatal.

I know the sort of people you are talking about. We should take into account this kind of NP. They are physically fit, mentally agile and tend to be highly competitive "winners". When the survival instinct clicks in with these guys, they could royally scupper our plans if we don't take them seriously.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 September 2013, 11:02,
I don't think we underestimate sheeple. I don't think we underestimate the danger that Sheeple are to use either. What I do believe we underestimate is how many sheeple will survive and will spread out in all directions looking for food.

However, we are aware that cities are more of a danger, we are aware that we need to keep our heads down and we are aware that there will be these people.

Like all things you can plan, prepare and test your plans but when it happens for real there will be a nassive shock to us all. Crying and dying babies, children, adults. Adults that will do anything to feed their kids and will not hesitate to destroy you in their search.

No need to call people that don't agree with you idiots. Some people don't have the concern for a reason and it ain't always stupidity.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2013, 11:13,
I find the term sheeple rather offensive.

It's used in a similar vein as the word nigger. As a way of making the user feel superior and the person it is aimed at inferior.

Until some sort of event happens, NO ONE knows who will survive and who will not. People we label as sheeple may adapt and show us to be a bunch of tits.

WaylanderCool
10 September 2013, 11:30,
Taking for example the body builders. They may be extremely fit, but IMHO fit in one direction only. The reason for their extreme fitness, (and you can apply this across the categories mentioned in the OP) - the reason that they are superb in their chosen skill-set is that they are TOTALLY focussed - i.e. it's an all consuming passion.

But they are likely to be useless in some other areas. Thats why although my fitness is not good, I'm pretty useful in lots of other areas. A bit of a generalist but i reckon I've got a good chance of surviving.
10 September 2013, 11:55,
It may come down to that thing that I have been trying to stockpile but don't find it very often LUCK
10 September 2013, 11:56,
There's a lot of truth in what Scythe13 says. Scary.

Then there's an example of people pulling together to overcome a long winter blackout given in another thread here. Hope.

Then there's everything in between. Anxiety.

Waylander is right, no one will know what will happen until the fat lady sings.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
10 September 2013, 11:58,
No need to worry about the masses, we can fire arrows at them....I'm joking of course.....we need camouflage. Not the DPM type, the ability to appear in dire straits, to look hungry and needy if we meet other people.

If we find some food we can share it, (we know we have a stash but they don't), sharing a "find" makes us part of the team instead of the "greedy hoarder". This will be the time we can find out who we can really trust, who we can build a future with, and who else was prepared.
10 September 2013, 12:02,
(10 September 2013, 11:30)River Song Wrote: Taking for example the body builders. They may be extremely fit, but IMHO fit in one direction only. The reason for their extreme fitness, (and you can apply this across the categories mentioned in the OP) - the reason that they are superb in their chosen skill-set is that they are TOTALLY focussed - i.e. it's an all consuming passion.

But they are likely to be useless in some other areas. Thats why although my fitness is not good, I'm pretty useful in lots of other areas. A bit of a generalist but i reckon I've got a good chance of surviving.

Agreed RS,

These guys are sometimes excessively focussed, but they are obsessive by nature and if that obsession turns in the duirection of self preservation thay will be equally focussed on gettng what they want.

Re general fitness: My personal decision has been to work at maintaining a good level of fitness as a prep. That fitness I see an an enabler, incresing options available to me both now, and even more so if we have to deal with a TU situation.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580