Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulk buying flour
12 September 2013, 18:40,
RE: Bulk buying flour
I remember reading something about freezing the flour to kill the bugs in it I'll have to try and find it again later

so freeze defrost and store
12 September 2013, 18:47,
stored flour dosent last for long...period, it goes off after a time no matter what you do to it. whole grains is the only way to go for long term storage.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 September 2013, 19:27,
I put down 2 bags of flour for an experiment. I Cooked one 12 months after sell by date no problem. I still have one left to cook at the 2 year point which will be February 2014, I will let you know the results in February.
I just put them straight into a cupboard and left them no special storage at all.
Failure is NOT an option
12 September 2013, 20:52,
have a look at http://frugalliving.about.com/od/storing...-Flour.htm
13 September 2013, 17:43,
(12 September 2013, 19:27)uks Wrote: I put down 2 bags of flour for an experiment. I Cooked one 12 months after sell by date no problem. I still have one left to cook at the 2 year point which will be February 2014, I will let you know the results in February.
I just put them straight into a cupboard and left them no special storage at all.

Around here, a two year old bag of flour is going to be a sack full of weevils!

If you do not have insects that get into the flour there you are fortunate since most of the world fights this problem.

Nothing like opening a sack and finding it filled with worms.
13 September 2013, 17:46,
weevils don't get into the flour, they are already in the wheat before it ever gets milled, I think freezing just puts them to sleep and they wake up again when its defrosted.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2013, 18:04,
in the 80,s we used to deliver flour to underground govermemt storage areas.we used to take 24 tons in 8 stone hessian sacks.it was unloaded onto a machine that put the sacks into plastic bags.6 months later we would take another load in and bring the old load back.all our flour has a use by date of 6 months.it will last longer,but for long term storage,grain and a small hand mill is the way to go. hope this helps
13 September 2013, 23:15,
My local asda superstore is now selling 3kg bags of flour for £2 which works out a LOT cheaper than buying in bulk, most places suggested here are around £16 for 16 kg, at that price you could get 24kg's for the same price
15 September 2013, 01:32,
(13 September 2013, 17:46)bigpaul Wrote: weevils don't get into the flour, they are already in the wheat before it ever gets milled, I think freezing just puts them to sleep and they wake up again when its defrosted.

BP, You are right about how they get in but freezing the flour for three days kills them. They get 'put to sleep' all right.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 October 2013, 19:27,
Plain Flour will last 5 years in a mylar bag with oxygen absorber - I also add Bayleaves which gives offf a scent weavils don't like.

I have never refrigerated my flour - I use use approviately 2500cc in a 20 x 30 mylar bag full of flour and its been fine - no issues. My mum has moved to a warmer climate and she refrigerates, then mylar bags with oxygen and moisture asborber with some bayleaves thrown in and its also fine.

Hard wheat last 10 years in mylar bag with oxygen absorber