Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True thoughts on TEOTWAWKI
13 September 2013, 13:32,
RE: True thoughts on TEOTWAWKI
OK-ignore list it is...NOW. I've got no time for trolls.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2013, 13:33,
The first thing is what the event is and what the scale of the event i.e. is localise to one part of the globe

I agree with some of that in terms of people working to get the some of the tech going again but if your talking about a 2 years to get back to the "new normal" how long will it be bad. If its 6 months to year without fuel or food getting to the shops then a hell of a lot of people will die though starvation, disease, exposure (depends on time of year and length), or plain old killing each other.

given that full scale farming in the UK can feed all our population now by a long way then I can see a big drop in population and it will be a lottery if you survive the early days/weeks all we can do now is prep in the hope that we improve the odds of surviving.

The only other very interesting thought will be say if for example a solar flare took out the UK infra structure how long would the international community take to help and what would happen in the interim time in the UK
13 September 2013, 13:36,
(13 September 2013, 13:33)I-K-E Wrote: The first thing is what the event is and what the scale of the event i.e. is localise to one part of the globe

I agree with some of that in terms of people working to get the some of the tech going again but if your talking about a 2 years to get back to the "new normal" how long will it be bad. If its 6 months to year without fuel or food getting to the shops then a hell of a lot of people will die though starvation, disease, exposure (depends on time of year and length), or plain old killing each other.

given that full scale farming in the UK can feed all our population now by a long way then I can see a big drop in population and it will be a lottery if you survive the early days/weeks all we can do now is prep in the hope that we improve the odds of surviving.

The only other very interesting thought will be say if for example a solar flare took out the UK infra structure how long would the international community take to help and what would happen in the interim time in the UK

I agree with the above, except the part about farming feeding all the population, self sufficient (i.e, NO imports) farming will ONLY feed about 25% of the current population so a decrease in population will be needed.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2013, 13:41,
(13 September 2013, 13:36)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 September 2013, 13:33)I-K-E Wrote: The first thing is what the event is and what the scale of the event i.e. is localise to one part of the globe

I agree with the above, except the part about farming feeding all the population, self sufficient (i.e, NO imports) farming will ONLY feed about 25% of the current population so a decrease in population will be needed.

ARHH thanks for spotting the typo missed the NOT should have read

"given that full scale farming in the UK can not feed all our population now"
13 September 2013, 13:42,
(13 September 2013, 13:41)I-K-E Wrote:
(13 September 2013, 13:36)bigpaul Wrote:

ARHH thanks for spotting the typo missed the NOT should have read

"given that full scale farming in the UK can not feed all our population now"
AHH good, so we are in agreement.
13 September 2013, 21:00,
It is all going to depend on the severity of the incident - n'est-ce pas? A minor blip will cause a lot of inconvenience, but things will quickly right themselves and people will survive. Howver, to say that technology will recover is not necessarily true - it just may be too difficult for the time being. Just imagine - a power station gets hit, or many, and the grid goes down. The chance of people actually bothering to go in and try to fix it are probably rather low - they will naturally be more interested in protecting their own family and establishing a safe position for themselves. You also have to consider how many people would be altruistic enough to do such a thing for the benefit of others - with probably no great reward and no "pay". It sounds a bit unlikely.

I think people will settle back on their heels and just try to survive by whatever means are available. Technology will probably take a back seat.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
13 September 2013, 21:25,
whatever leaders there are, whether current ones or new ones that emerge, will want to get the power back on ASAP if for nothing else than to be able to use it to their advantage over adversaries. Anyone that can get a power generating plant back online will indeed be paid, I would think. As S13 touched on in the original post, human nature will remain the same after some event.
14 September 2013, 07:55,
if TSHTF is ONLY going to be a minor inconvenience its hardly worth prepping for is it? we could spend a lot of that money on other things. but I don't see it that way, ALL civilisations in the past failed, remember the Ancient Romans? sure they didn't all die but they were never the same again, well the same now, things will never be the same again, some will survive and start again but it will take so long no one of us alive here today will see a return to the status quo.
14 September 2013, 08:08, (This post was last modified: 14 September 2013, 08:10 by River Song.)
(14 September 2013, 07:55)bigpaul Wrote: if TSHTF is ONLY going to be a minor inconvenience its hardly worth prepping for is it? we could spend a lot of that money on other things. ............. etc etc

I'm not sure that prepping is only for TEOTWAWKI. Yes, it's true that we could have the end of western civilisation (although I think that this will take place over a period of time rather than sudden -- the collapse of Rome wasn't so much as barbarian invasion as much as internal decay - see Gibbons)

It also remains true, I think, that when it goes, we have to adjust our way of life, It wont be the same. I'm not actually looking forward to it. I reckon its going to be harsh and frankly I fear for my kids.

Of equal importance though, Prepping is also for the times when, for example, the power goes for a couple of weeks. Or Pandemic Fly strikes, or any other cause which does not involve TEOTW.

For these things, to bug in, and hunker down with your security and supplies is going to be paramount.

.... pandemic flu ... not 'fly' :-)
14 September 2013, 10:03,
Dont forget about the "i'll fix it but have no clue brigade"

We all know them, the ones that say " sure I can fix that" and when you get it back its even worse than before, most modern car garages operate on that principle I believe....

The "oh dear maybe I shouldn't have pressed that button brigade"

These will be the ones left to look after the power station ie to send a runner out to the engineer if the gauge goes red, only not to bother him and press the core eject button instead....

Some people may well be altruistic enough to help, after all in fukashima some engineers stayed behind and died trying to stop what happened.

Doesn't mean they'll have the backup needed to do the job.

I think imo power if available will be strictly regulated and turned off most places only certain places getting it, house of parliament, queen military bases hospitals etc...

Yes a lot of places have backup generators but fuel wont last forever and if there's no imports of fuel that'll be rationed as well and you wont get any, m.p.'s yes you no.

If you want to have a look at a modern city in decline watch this demcad video about Detroit.

This city is now bankrupt, listen carefully to his narrative as he drives through Detroit.

This is a city still being looked after to a certain extent, listen to the problems and look at the damage etc...

Then extrapolate the damage, lack of maintenance etc after an event to your location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...-KkQJa-P0Y
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...