Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True thoughts on TEOTWAWKI
15 September 2013, 12:39,
RE: True thoughts on TEOTWAWKI
(13 September 2013, 13:10)Scythe13 Wrote: This is probably going to cause outrage, but you all know me well enough to realise that I like to mix things up.

Okay, get those angry frowns on because there's some hard hitting fantasy destroying info coming through your eyes.

We all know The End Of The World As We Know It, just means a changing of the guard. The system will have changed in one way or another.

There is talk of prehistoric cave living, zero tech living, native ancient style living, medivl (I don't care how it's spelt, so correcting me will make you look like a silly goose), pre industrial age, and plenty of Armish style communities.

This is where the anger starts to pour in on me.

The cave people moved on in their technology because it made life easier. Medivl too. Actually, every civilisation era has 'developed' and benefitted society...supposedly.

Trains, planes, and automobiles were all ADVANCEMENTS! You know what that means? They were 'better' than the old way of doing things. It's less effort to drive a car than ride a horse. It's faster to fly to Disney World than it is to swim over there (I don't care if you don't like Disney World, it's the concept that's important). Travel is easier. Okay, so what? Well it suggests that people will look toward reviving that advancement.

Farming is easier than scavenging and hunting. So we can be sure they'll come back. Somewhere someone will work out how to get tractors up and running, possibly on methane from poo...WHAT?!?! That's already being done?!?! Who knew. So we can be certain farming will likely return.

Shelter will still be plentiful, so no worrying about that. Solar panels will allow people to use some electricity. Even with an EMP or solar flair people will figure out how to make power. Plenty of information in books to cover that topic.

So, with this in mind, life post SHTF will very likely have farms, houses, clothing, vehicles, and electricity. They will start off in limited quantities, but they will still exist.

It should only take a year, 2 at the most, for mankind to return to a high standard of living, similar to where we are now.

Thinking of sanitation and the alike, people can easily get that back up and running. Shops will return soon enough too.

If you do not agree, then I urge you to open a history book and look for a sentence that says "History repeats itself." Human development repeats itself. It keeps developing and alternative technology is constantly being made available. Hippies have solar panels and wind turbines. That says a lot!!!

If everything does go wrong, a return to 'normal' will happen pretty quickly.

The only chance of no technological developments is if only idiots survive an event.

From that it sounds like there's not much point prepping then...
15 September 2013, 13:10, (This post was last modified: 15 September 2013, 13:21 by bigpaul.)
(13 September 2013, 13:10)Scythe13 Wrote: This is probably going to cause outrage, but you all know me well enough to realise that I like to mix things up.

Okay, get those angry frowns on because there's some hard hitting fantasy destroying info coming through your eyes.

We all know The End Of The World As We Know It, just means a changing of the guard. The system will have changed in one way or another.

There is talk of prehistoric cave living, zero tech living, native ancient style living, medivl (I don't care how it's spelt, so correcting me will make you look like a silly goose), pre industrial age, and plenty of Armish style communities.

This is where the anger starts to pour in on me.

The cave people moved on in their technology because it made life easier. Medivl too. Actually, every civilisation era has 'developed' and benefitted society...supposedly.

Trains, planes, and automobiles were all ADVANCEMENTS! You know what that means? They were 'better' than the old way of doing things. It's less effort to drive a car than ride a horse. It's faster to fly to Disney World than it is to swim over there (I don't care if you don't like Disney World, it's the concept that's important). Travel is easier. Okay, so what? Well it suggests that people will look toward reviving that advancement.

Farming is easier than scavenging and hunting. So we can be sure they'll come back. Somewhere someone will work out how to get tractors up and running, possibly on methane from poo...WHAT?!?! That's already being done?!?! Who knew. So we can be certain farming will likely return.

Shelter will still be plentiful, so no worrying about that. Solar panels will allow people to use some electricity. Even with an EMP or solar flair people will figure out how to make power. Plenty of information in books to cover that topic.

So, with this in mind, life post SHTF will very likely have farms, houses, clothing, vehicles, and electricity. They will start off in limited quantities, but they will still exist.

It should only take a year, 2 at the most, for mankind to return to a high standard of living, similar to where we are now.

Thinking of sanitation and the alike, people can easily get that back up and running. Shops will return soon enough too.

If you do not agree, then I urge you to open a history book and look for a sentence that says "History repeats itself." Human development repeats itself. It keeps developing and alternative technology is constantly being made available. Hippies have solar panels and wind turbines. That says a lot!!!

If everything does go wrong, a return to 'normal' will happen pretty quickly.

The only chance of no technological developments is if only idiots survive an event.

that's one helleva lot of assumptions and what iffs! "if EVERYTHING does go wrong, a return to normal will happen very quickly"? I have never heard so much bunkum and claptrap in just one so small a sentence.

like BM said, if that were the case we are all wasting our time prepping, might just as well pack it in now and go and join the cricket team/golf club/clay shooting club/#fill in your own blank#Angry

this kind of thinking makes us as bad as the Sheeple.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 September 2013, 13:38,
Assuming EVERYTHING will go wrong is a very big assumption that both BM and BP make which I'll disagree with.
Personally I, and many others, don't just Prep for that.

Assume, for example, the two likeliest scenarios posited by HMG.

1. Pandemic Flu
2. Coastal Flooding

In both of these scenarios, it cannot be certain that disaster is permanent. In the case of Pandemic Flu, even in worse case scenario, I would calculate an 18-month return to some form of order.

In the case of Coastal Flooding - probably around 4 - 6 months. Neither of these are TEOTWAWKI.
15 September 2013, 14:40,
(15 September 2013, 13:38)River Song Wrote: Assuming EVERYTHING will go wrong is a very big assumption that both BM and BP make which I'll disagree with.

1. Pandemic Flu
2. Coastal Flooding

In both of these scenarios, it cannot be certain that disaster is permanent. In the case of Pandemic Flu, even in worse case scenario, I would calculate an 18-month return to some form of order.

In the case of Coastal Flooding - probably around 4 - 6 months. Neither of these are TEOTWAWKI.

That is your prerogative, flooding may be nothing to you but consider the flooding in Colorado currently, 4 dead and 350 missing-I don't think its nothing to them do you? I prep for total TEOTWAWKI...if its not that bad then i'm covered for that too! never assume anything!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 September 2013, 15:31,
I'm sure Riversong has flloding right up there as she lives in a low lying part of the country....i'm near the Mersey and the Irish sea but flooding isn't a major concern but having an oil refinery within spitting distance is...we all got different issues vying for our attentions.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 September 2013, 15:42,
I don't have an issues like that, which is one reason I live where I do and why we moved to this place. we moved from Glastonbury cos we had "issues" with the building of the new power station at Hinckley Point + Somerset is too crowded in general, so we moved to a nice quiet country market town- well not IN town we are WAY WAY out on the parish border. I think the only think I am REALLY concerned about is if the local 2 pump petrol station would come to blow up, but even then its far enough away we would hear the blast and see the smoke but that it, they built some new houses around the back of itAngry
15 September 2013, 16:02,
For Beardyman and BP.

I understand why you would think it looks like prepping would be useless, given the above thought process. If not for the 1-2 year time period in which it would take to become 'normal' again, then I would agree. But we will need about 2 year's worth of supplies, for safety.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 September 2013, 16:28,
oh dear, putting all ones eggs in one basket, tut, tut, never heard of the rule of three then?
15 September 2013, 16:44,
(15 September 2013, 13:38)River Song Wrote: Assuming EVERYTHING will go wrong is a very big assumption that both BM and BP make which I'll disagree with.

1. Pandemic Flu
2. Coastal Flooding

Errrr, check you facts first please - I'm not assuming anything - I like to be completely fluid in my preps, I'm expecting the worst, I assume NOTHING
15 September 2013, 16:55,
I have heard these comments so often over the last few years on various sites, people who are prepping for unemployment, illness, divorce, a drop in income, you know, what I call NORMAL LIFE. if you live in a low lying area like the Somerset Levels or on a floodplain-then EXPECT flooding. coastal areas expect winter sea storms, Dorsets Jurasic coast expect landslides, live near an airport at some time you will have a plane crash etc etc. what I am prepping for is the things we do NOT immediately foresee like the EU collapsing, Economic failure, World War 3! we EXPECT these things but they are not immediately apparent, so I prep for ALL eventualities not just the obvious ones.