Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What spices should we be storing?
2 March 2012, 20:14,
RE: What spices should we be storing?
(2 March 2012, 20:06)Prepared Chick Wrote: I tend to eat highly flavored, spice food so I have a large stock of dried chilli, curry, salt, black pepper, herbs (all sorts) roughly 5kgs of each but 10 kgs of salt. I would struggle to eat bland food and of course if reduced to eating rat etc then at least the seasonings would help the taste

Aha I'm not into highly spiced grub but some of the latino community on another forum are really into hot spicey peppery grub, and salty sea food stuffs, They had a good chat bout 2 years ago and worked out that for health they actually needed to have access to about 25% more fresh water than most folks do. Perhaps you need to think about increased water supplies in your preps?

2 March 2012, 20:42,
I store all sorts plus stock cubes but mostly dried chillies, garlic, ginger and salt.
2 March 2012, 22:21,
Ive only realy got a few stock cube / powders type things and assorted mixed peppers. To me it seems like I have a lot, but only because I never use them on anything. I imagine a family of 4 have more than I have and they are not even trying to prep. I do have a few kg of salk kicking about on a top shelf somewhere.
3 March 2012, 10:22,
I like the odd spiced dinner so have a few of my favourites stashed away. More importantly, I also have seeds of some of the spices and herbs I use.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
4 March 2012, 17:54,
(2 March 2012, 20:14)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 March 2012, 20:06)Prepared Chick Wrote: I tend to eat highly flavored, spice food so I have a large stock of dried chilli, curry, salt, black pepper, herbs (all sorts) roughly 5kgs of each but 10 kgs of salt. I would struggle to eat bland food and of course if reduced to eating rat etc then at least the seasonings would help the taste

Aha I'm not into highly spiced grub but some of the latino community on another forum are really into hot spicey peppery grub, and salty sea food stuffs, They had a good chat bout 2 years ago and worked out that for health they actually needed to have access to about 25% more fresh water than most folks do. Perhaps you need to think about increased water supplies in your preps?

As standard I always have 300litres of drinkable water held in the house not including my outside water butts of 660 litres plus 10litres in bug-out-bag not including portable water filter bottle. So not too bad!
4 March 2012, 19:06,
we have quite a lot but not kilograms worth. not much in the way of powders, mostly whole spices in vacuum bags (most of those are in an ice cream tub at the bottom of the freezer - that gives 2 years of great flavour).

One possibly odd thing we also have are packs of Japanese curry blocks. these are little squares of spiced roux which you mix with water to give you a japanese curry sauce. they're really nice and easy.

on top of all that lots of salt and pepper, several kilos of each. these go on nearly everything cooked in my kitchen.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.