Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i am the god of hell fire....
17 September 2013, 22:09,
RE: i am the god of hell fire....
Good post Sunna, got a lot of trees around me....I plan to cut them down the risk is to high to leave them ,in problem will be ,I would be more visible, candles, stoves, well common sense should sort that out for most of us but for sheeple will be a big problem,
17 September 2013, 22:22,
(17 September 2013, 22:09)Straight Shooter Wrote: Good post Sunna, got a lot of trees around me....I plan to cut them down the risk is to high to leave them ,in problem will be ,I would be more visible, candles, stoves, well common sense should sort that out for most of us but for sheeple will be a big problem,

most of us are used to heating ,cooking on stoves, open fires ect , its the general public and their kids, kids running around knocking over lamps ,candles not being able to go to bed without the light on .
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 September 2013, 22:35,
I have just purchased a gas lamp,.. the reason being that I dont want to light the oil lamp that I have,.. we had a power cut about three weeks ago just for the one night, so I lite the paraffin lamp, and promptly fell over my [black] German Shepherd while carrying it to where it was to stand.

Now I was lucky, because as I hit the floor, not only did it not break, but the flame went out as well,... BUT,.. I learnt a lesson well,... so it is one lamp that I will keep, but it will be a real emergency before I light it again

So, I think that oil lamps are a real danger if you have kids,... or dogs...lol
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 September 2013, 07:04,
(17 September 2013, 22:35)Highlander Wrote: I have just purchased a gas lamp,.. the reason being that I dont want to light the oil lamp that I have,.. we had a power cut about three weeks ago just for the one night, so I lite the paraffin lamp, and promptly fell over my [black] German Shepherd while carrying it to where it was to stand.

Now I was lucky, because as I hit the floor, not only did it not break, but the flame went out as well,... BUT,.. I learnt a lesson well,... so it is one lamp that I will keep, but it will be a real emergency before I light it again

So, I think that oil lamps are a real danger if you have kids,... or dogs...lol

Lucky escape HL

I guess yu're saying that a gas lamp would have broken but that is fuel would have been retained in the canister, and not spilled and ignighted as could have happened with the oil lamp?

We have a couple of oil lamps. we have used them very infrequently. They have hook arangements on them to allow them to be semi permanently gastened to walls and solid surfaces. Thanks to your cautionary tale, I think we'll be screwing ours to comething solid before too long.

Thanks
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 September 2013, 10:43,
Yes,... the difference being that oil lamps are glass and are vulnerable and gas lamp [ camping type] are not, if you drop a camping gas stove its not going to do a lot of damage

...but of course I also made the mistake of lighting the oil lamp away from where it was to stand,... if I had lite it in situ then there would not have been a problem

So to be fair,...maybe I should have said that oil lamps are safe, it us than need to be careful in how we use them
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 September 2013, 15:22,
I have 8 oil lamps 3 are always set in their positions ready to light up , I have 2 of those bar type lights you can charge up in house or in car these are set in place and in easy reach and always charged up, its easy done, I slip over my dog all the time ......and she is the blind one.....but we all need to be more aware when carrying any naked flame .......I remember well my grandparents going up them stone stairs oil lamp in hand ....happy days.